I don't know that I like the repeated use of the term "chain of command". Scouts lead, we don't "command".

Much of the text used is copied verbatim from BSA publications. Interesting that the bottom of every page says copyright 2001 CLASSB.COM. I wonder if they got permission from BSA to copy BSA material?

Troop WISE has been discussed in here before. It's been a while. As with anything, it's got some good points and not-so-good ones. I've printed out their documentation and have used parts of it in youth training.

As for the "chain of command" comment, I sorta agree. But I think it's just a word for what we know exists. There are responsibiliites in the troop. The PLs "report" to the SPL, the troop PORs "report" to the ASPL, etc. This just makes it more formal than we're used to seeing it.

I don't agree with their approach on discipline. They make the PLC the primary source of discipline. The SM doesn't get involved with discipline until step 5 of 7. Further, the Troop Committee and COR have no involvement in the process. I think this is the most significant deviation from the Boy Scout program.

Other than that, it's a pretty good plan and there's some good stuff that you may be able to put to use in your unit.

As for the "chain of command" comment, I sorta agree. But I think it's just a word for what we know exists. There are responsibiliites in the troop. The PLs "report" to the SPL, the troop PORs "report" to the ASPL, etc. This just makes it more formal than we're used to seeing it.

Not just more formal than we're used to seein' it, eh? Also more formal than any set of kids is likely to be when runnin' it, if they are in fact youth-run.

Better to teach collaboration and shared responsibility in this day and age, don't ya think?

• 3 weeks later...

Campcrafter I have wanted to take a look at "Troop Wise" since you posted your question. I had not seen it before, but took some time this AM and looked it over. I have to agree that some of the terms used are a bit on the formal side, but there is some good info there. What I liked best about it was that it tells the adults they are not the

Chain of Command" , that the adults are directed to the SM instead of to the scout can be useful. We have a few untrained adults who insist upon metting out displine, so I can see where this could help us. I also liked the idea of the letters to the parents and the scouts. I would have loved to have received something that informed me about what was expected with a POR (as discussed in a other thread recently). All in all, I'd say some were good ideas others maybe went a little to far. But each Troop I've seen are at different levels of Boy run from what I've seen, so take what you need (of course all that is in BSA Handbooks). YiS