Proud to be a Scout Leader

I was a Cub Scout for a year or so and a Boy Scout for less than a year but never really got into the program. My son came home excited about "some guy in a uniform who said that he did something called scouts where boys did fun stuff" last year and he joined his Pack as a Tiger Cub. I came on board this year as a Wolf DL....

Scouting is a great, great program....I only wish I could have seen that when I was young. I plan to do my part to help our Pack be a positive scouting experience for our young scouts.

I look forward to learning best practices from you folks.

Welcome to the campfire, and I am indeed happy that you are hooked on the Scouting program.

This forum is full of good insights and ideas. And a fair amount of lively opinions.

Since you are a new leader, and concerning "best practices", I would encourage you to look first to your immediate resources. BSA publications, the training that your council and district provide, and the long-term leaders in your district and council. Every unit is unique and all have a process involved as they gear towards the aims and methods of Scouting.

Happy Trails!!

Welcome to the club!

I share your pride. In my situation, I have had to relocate 500 miles from home due to a new job. (better than unemployment) Even though my family (4 kids, 2 are scouts) are still back home, I've gotten connected with a local troop and am assisting as much as they'll let me. It's also good for me cause it's keeping me in the game and hopefully able to use some of my scout leader skills.

Enjoy the adventure. If you're lucky, it'll only take over your life.