100% Program Award Rocker Segment

Has anyone else noticed that the 100% Program Award segment is sized to fit the adult Jamboree patch? I put it up against the youth patch on my sons uniform and discovered it is too wide of an arc to fit correctly. So I put it up to mine and it fits perfectly. What gives? We were told it is for scouts who completed all 6 of the activity segments and we were given a dozen of them so they surely weren't meant for the adults. Is this simply a mistake in design?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's what I'm thinking, I believe someone was mistaken in what they told you. The youth earn the individual rockers, but the adults get a "5 for 5" (what it was called at the 2005 Jambo, I guess this year it would be "6 for 6") piece for encouraging a certain percentage of the Scouts to complete the segments. It's kind of like a quality unit thing for Jambo. I have one of these on my Jambo uniform from 2005, when I went as a 3rd ASM.

Well that would certainly solve the riddle of why it fits the adult patch, but it's odd that they would give us a dozen of them for just 4 leaders. It was our commissioner who gave us the patches and the explanation, but I can see where this could easily get confused somewhere down the line. I looked on the BSA Jambo site but didn't find anything about it there. They do have a small article about the other six segments.

I'd have to ask how many troops were there from your council? If there were more troops, did they give them to those troops as well? If this isn't the case, then it sounds like the Commissioner goofed.

I did a Google search on it to make sure and saw them on eBay. They were listed there as the 6 segments and an adult rocker, so I'm guessing it is the same as I said earlier. I saw the difference in arc on there as well, so I saw what you're saying about the fit.

We had 13 troops attending. I've only spoken with 2 other SM's though but they received the same info I did. Maybe it was the commissioners goof if it was in fact a goof, but I'm thinking with the number of patches they gave us the goof came from higher up.

Personal conversation with the Southern Region program staff when they handed me the patches.

I have to say that the 100% rocker fits the adult patch and the activity rockers fit the yute patch is a pretty good clue too. My evidence for that is the two sets of patches and rockers I'm now holding in my hand.

On the other hand, if you have enough rockers to give to both youth and adult and they want to wear the (and don't care the they don't fit the different patches well) then go for it.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

I can't find anything about the 100% rocker on any official site, only on those selling it all describing it as the adult rocker.

Aside from that, my experience with the one from 2005 tells me that's the case.(This message has been edited by VigilEagle04)

There seemed to be a lack of information about the rockers across the board. Commissioners seemed to rather willy-nilly hand them out with no real idea of how it was supposed to work. I saw bags of rockers thrown in the trash in our subcamp because they thought they were just extras!

Also, there were many staff members who were uncertain about whether or not they could earn them. I know a few that used their free time to do as much as they could as adults and earn them all, and then had to scramble to fight through ill-informed commissioners with conflicting directives about rockers to even get the patches. There was never anything to say that adults -couldn't- earn them, and at past Jamborees they were handed out to adults. I figured if they handed us the guides with the stamps, and the areas were allowing adults to go through and were stamping them at the end, adults were eligible. In the future, that should be communicated better.

As for the 100% patch, yes, that's definitely for adult leadership. And troops were given 12 of them along with enough rockers for 36 kids, though they weren't told the 100% patches were for adults. I know one of our contingent troops was planning on trying to procure more for the additional kids who earned all their rockers. Seems rather odd to hand out enough for 4 adults to have 3 patches each while only giving the kids enough rockers for 1 set.

Overall, a quite confusing system with the typical Jamboree "well, so and so said this, but then we heard so-and-so tell us that, so... (shrug)."

"Also, there were many staff members who were uncertain about whether or not they could earn them. I know a few that used their free time to do as much as they could as adults and earn them all, and then had to scramble to fight through ill-informed commissioners with conflicting directives about rockers to even get the patches. There was never anything to say that adults -couldn't- earn them, and at past Jamborees they were handed out to adults. I figured if they handed us the guides with the stamps, and the areas were allowing adults to go through and were stamping them at the end, adults were eligible. In the future, that should be communicated better."

No, staff can't earn the rockers. We never could. When I was at the 2001 Jamboree, at one of our staff meetings for my group, they clearly told us we (staff, both youth & adults) could NOT earn the rockers. I've been on staff for the last 3 jamborees, and no one was handling out the rockers to us.

Being the individual rockers don't fit on the adult patch, I don't believe they are intended for adults to earn. Especially since one of the rockers was completely unavailable to adults, and in the leader guide it specifically states the rockers are for Scouts to earn, not participants, not Scouts and Scouters, just Scouts.

Well, someone should have told the Commissioners and Subcamp Program people that. And if you actually read the Scout Guide, it never even remotely states they can be earned ONLY by youth. I just got mine out and read through it--it isn't there. It's frankly pretty poorly written to begin with, but that's beside the point. (Shouldn't the guide book reflect program areas that are actually there? Anybody ever find TOAP?) Also, it wasn't known during the Jamboree that the rockers only fit the youth patch, so it's not like that could have been used to justify youth-only.

If program areas were gladly stamping books for adults, and areas were open to adult staff and leaders' participation (whether at any time or at specifically-designated times), there was no reason to believe during the Jamboree that rockers were solely designated for youth. It pretty much can't be denied the entire rocker program was a bit flawed and miscommunicated this time around. Don't want adults to try to earn them? Put it in the book.

I think it is a region and subcamp communications breakdown. I'm in the Southern Region and was in Sub Camp 21. Our commisioners did an excellent job providing us with information and getting answers to our questions.

The idea behind the rockers is to give the youth participants an incentive to experience at least x number of activities in the various areas.

Hey Timmy look! If you do 5 out of 9 things here, you can get this segment to go on your shirt. If you do the same thing with these other 5 categories, you can get all 6 segments.

The 100% patch was incentive for adult leaders to point out the incentive of rockers to the youth.