Totally agree -- I've had the same experiences.

The PLC recently agreed to drop Librarian and the troop library. Very few boys use MB books anymore anyway. What passes for a troop library is now on the basis of "need one, take one -- got one, leave one."

Our scribe does a lot of work. First, he takes notes at PLC. Second, he takes attendance at every meeting/event. Third, he assists in making sure the outing permission slips are given to parents. Fourth, he also records advancement. That is about as much work as any other POR, and much more than librarian. I've been a webmaster of a Cub scout pack site. If the website is being maintained by the webmaster, it's a pretty decent amount of work.

The troop Scribe should not be overwhelmed by his job. If he is, there's a quick solution to the problem. Older scout burnout is a problem created by adults.

PL's are responsible for turning in to the scribe attendance and advancement they did at the meeting/activity. The scribe records it and passes it on to the ASM in charge of advancement.

The PL's collect and turn in permission slips for their patrol members.

If the PL can't handle it, he has an assistant and if they can't handle it between the two of them they can always designate a patrol scribe to handle the scribe duties for the patrol.

The troop scribe should not be dealing with patrol issues in the first place, especially in the larger troops!

Where does one get the experience to be a troop scribe? Sure, being a patrol scribe.

Where does one get the experience to be an SPL? Sure, being a PL.

In my previous troop, the patrol scribes were responsible for doing the paperwork, permission slips, signups, etc, taking attendance, keeping track of advancement, and collecting dues. If they were smart they had a notebook and packet of "reports" to hand in to the troop scribe after each meeting.

The troop scribe would crunch the numbers and give a report to the SPL, SM and ASM/advancement in a email the next day.

People don't train their people and then they are all expected to be fantastic at a job they know nothing about.

How many of the scouts are truly lazy and how many have given up because they have no idea what the expectations from the troop even are?

Boy led, patrol method only works when training is done first. Otherwise it ends up a shouting match with the SM yelling, "Just do it!" and the officer saying "Do what?"

To which the SM, profoundly, "The scribe/bugler/PL/SPL/etc. things!"

Yeah, that works for me too. (notice the dripping sarcasm.)

Stosh