Scouting in homeless shelters

I was involved with a Troop for a number of years based at a homeless shelter which has since closed.

Heed the previous advice contact your Councils Scoutreach, ministries such as the Salvation Army and the agency operating the shelter.

A few additional comments from our experience

The shelter situation was particularly bad and thus meetings were at a nearby church. This worked out well and the off site location was a good respite.

Adult leaders were from a Chartered Organization church. Relying on parents or guardians is unlikely. (Other Units may utilize BSA para-professionals.)

Boys should pay something, however small, for dues, trips, etc. It reduces the charity stigma a bit and helps create a sense of commitment. The great majority of funds will be from the BSA, Chartered Organization, service clubs, foundations, etc

I agree with an earlier post about not getting wrapped up about uniforms... but the Scouts had uniforms and took pride in wearing them. Spending money on uniforms was worth it. Check with your Scout Shop about getting irregular shirts.

Transient families are an issue to be considered when planning the program. The earlier poster had good suggestions. There is a chance on continuity - in our unit many boys travelled to stay with the Troop after their family left the shelter.

My concern with the initial post is the reference to values and dregs. The plan is well intentioned but many, me included, find the reference to be an offensive pre-judgment. I do not know of a correlation between poverty or homeless and lack of values. The boys have more challenges and problems, but in many ways you will probably find them similar with other Scouts. As with all Scouts, there is pre-selection by a certain type of person the boy and his parent/guardian have agreed to join the Scouts and strive toward Scouting principals. People sense things, and if the boys or parents question motives or respect a volunteers efforts will probably not go well.

There is all sorts of homelessness in our country.....

We have the folks using the shelters, friends and families homes, living under bridges, in cars....

The group I deal with are the extended friends and family living under a single roof and folks living in cars.....

I can imagine the homeless shelter is a bad environment for scout meeting. So removing them from that environment is a good thing.

Dean.....our dinner thing was innocent enough......

Had a couple of boys who said they had not eaten that day.....so the next week I brought some pizza....Well they brought some friends the next week....next I was feeding the entire den....then the brothers from the other dens....then mom and/or dad showed up......Well it got out of control in about 3 months and I stopped doing it.

Just trying to do the right thing......But when I am spending $50 a week on hot dogs/buns and fixins.....It had to stop.... Had a mom complain because there wasn't any cheese to put on her hot dog.....still shakin my head.

Yes the folks on the bottom live by maslows hierarchy of needs.