Hello BSA24,

>

You mean you've found several means of recruiting that work for you.

There are a wide variety of means that can and do work. From my experience as a unit leader and district membership chair, it can take several recruiting cycles and the experimentation that goes along with that to identify the means that are effective for recruiting new Scouts.

One size doesn't fit all. Indeed, it's a lot closer to say that recruiting methods need to be tailored to each unit.

I got one hit off of beascout.org a week or two ago. The previous one was a couple of months ago.

One of my current unit recruiting goals is to expand the number of Latino families in my Cub pack, because they are a large component of the population in the area. My efforts resulted in one new Latino family recruited during spring recruiting, and a second a few weeks ago.

Because of improved methods and because the parent recruited a few weeks ago is keen to support my efforts, I'm expecting Latinos to be half the pack by next June.

Some new Scouts may fall into your unit like pennies from heaven. But a lot more are waiting to join if you use effective recruiting methods.

Hello Sasha,

That's a long story, and I'm still studying how to do that job at this point.

For my unit and district, the issue is how primarily English speaking Cub Packs can recruit and retain Latino youth and families.

One key thing I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere---

My aim is to have a bilingual English/Spanish person be a leader for those Hispanic families. Someone who can and will stay in touch with families where the parents may be Spanish speaking and have little or no English.

That leader can then help keep other pack leaders informed about issues that are important to Latino families so they can be accommodated.

Also, that ought to permit those Latino families to take charge of particular pack projects that need to be done, e.g. putting on the Pack Blue and Gold Dinner perhaps.

Using bilingual recruiting materials and having Spanish language Den handbooks and other literature to display would be other examples of things to do.

A couple of weeks ago I signed up that bilingual leader who is keenly interested in helping me recruit more Latino families for the pack. So I'm hoping we'll have some real success with that this fall.

BeAScout is just another tool in the Leaders recruitment toolbox. If you don't take care of it (update the info) then it'll just rust.

Hey, National is trying. You sometimes have to meet them part ways.

Yeah!

Just got a lead on a transfer scout today and I called her.....today.

Mom was an assistant TIger Leader last year. Our Pack is outside of her school district--the local Packs recruit from the schools. She is looking for a more active Pack and our pin got her attention.