I don't want to reopen the old "should scout stuff be for sale on e-bay" thread, but I was looking to replace some old patches I lost and saw a Silver wolf medal up for sale, starting bid $1,170! What, may I ask, is a Silver Wolf? All I can remember is that it was Scoutings highest award back in the 1920s.

Oldscout

My understanding is that the Silver Wolf was to be the highest rank when BSA was established in 1910, but none was ever awarded. Silver Wolf was abolished and Eagle (much more the American symbol) was then established as the highest rank and the first one awarded soon thereafter in 1912.

Is this an authentic Silver Wolf Medal/Badge? Wow....

Which Silver Wolf?

This One

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silver_Wolf_Award.png

Since its inception by Robert Baden-Powell, the Silver Wolf has remained the "unrestricted gift of the Chief Scout" although "County Commissioners and overseas Chief Scouts may submit recommendations to Scout Headquarters."

During the early years of the development of the Scout Movement throughout the world, it was the practice of the Founder, Lord Baden-Powell, to give the Silver Wolf to Scouters in any country who had done outstandingly valuable work for the Movement.The Silver Wolf was first awarded to King's Scouts or King's Sea Scouts of at least 2 years service and who earned 12 proficiency badges who performed under exceptional circumstances like saving a life or repeated acts of Bravery, endurance, or self sacrifice.This Silver Wolf remained a Youth award until 1922 when it became an award for Adult volunteers for Services to Scouting.

The award was of course highly valued, but it began to be realized that the Silver Wolf was a British Scout decoration, even though it was given by the Chief Scout of the World. Accordingly in 1934 the Bronze Wolf award was created as the only award made by the World Scout Committee.

The Silver Wolf worn by Robert Baden-Powell is handed down the line of his successors.

Is this the One your Talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-BOY-SCOUT-MEDAL-SILVER-WOLF-/251093460197?pt=UK_Collectables_Memorabila_RL&hash=item3a765624e5#ht_549wt_932

If it is then It is the Award I already mentioned..It has nothing to do with BSA RANK.

As a Collectible I think it would be more valuable if you could prove whom it was awarded to.

Apparently they don't need cash that Bad because they declined two Offers..

If I had a Scout Museum I might consider buying it..but not that much for a generic Award..

If you look at Bronze wolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recipients_of_the_Bronze_Wolf_Award

You can find a list of Recipients for it however there is not a List for the Silver Wolf..

As it stands they could claim it was from anyone any time

The BSA's highest award was originally conceived of as the Wolf Scout, as shown in the June 1911 Official Handbook for Boys.

The August 1911 version of the handbook changed this to Eagle Scout. The medal illustrated in the handbook was a profile of an eagle in flight, but was changed to the current design before any were issued.

In their original conceptions, Life Scout, Star Scout (Life preceded Star until 1924) and Eagle Scout were not ranks, but part of the merit badge system that recognized Scouts who had earned a specified number of merit badges. Eagle Scout was awarded to any First Class Scout who had earned 21 merit badges. Consequently, eight of the first nine Eagle Scouts did not earn the ranks of Life or Star.

Back home in England, my old GSL (Group Scout Leader) Charlie Reed, who had served as a Cub Master and District Secretary for a very long time (I'm not sure how long, but know he served during the years of WWII and was still serving in the 1980's!)

Received the Silver Acorn and later the Silver Wolf.

Charlie and myself crossed swords a lot when I became Scout Leader. I was full of myself and very much like a bull in a china shop.

Charlie had lots of time in had been there and was always telling me "Slowly, slowly catchee monkey!" At the time I seen him as an old stick in the mud and of course thought I knew what was for the best.

While we did learn to work together, we were never close.

It wasn't till I found out that he had passed on that I took the time to look back on what I had learned from him and found that he wasn't really a stick in the mud, but really did have the kids and his beloved 17th Fulham (Pioneers) at heart.

Eamonn.

Yea we do tend to not realize the full effect someone has on us till after they have passed on.

Looking Back on my early years I reflect more on the true Leadership and influence of my Leadership now than I did then.

and I wish I could have more pictures and memorabilia to document those people in a Local Scouting Museum

The Silver Wolf is the top UK Scouting award for adults. Their equivalent to our Silver Buffalo.

I actually find it interesting that many many National Scout Associations have top level award to adults that are all 'silver critters' of some kind.

The Bronze Wolf is the top WOSM award to adults. Kind of interesting they went with Bronze and not gold...