I got a call last night from a former scout of mine (Eagle, SPL). He and his family were hiking in Shenandoah National Park and heard cries for help. They came across a man whose wife was passed out on the trail. My scout said he immediately went into First Aid mode, sending for help, assessing the situation, assessing the patient, checking for breathing, pulse, etc. Seems it was a heatstroke/dehydration issue, which was remedied pretty quickly. But he said, "I didn't even have to think about what to do. It came back to me automatically! I knew what to do and did it!" He was thrilled and so was I. Seems like our First Aid teachings some 15 years ago sunk in. It's times like this that the hours we put in and the people (aka parents) we have to put up with make it worth while.

Dale

Scouting is about preparing. Often we will never see the results of the time and effort we invest in the scouts.

I have never seen or communicated with my adult leaders from 35+ years ago but their words, actions, and wisdom rule my actions every day. Consider yourself very lucky that one of the scouts you had contact with was able to thank you for effort.