I've been lurking here for months, and just registered a few days ago.

I became interested in this Forum after being asked by my best friend to help with his 13 year old son's new Troop. Sam (the son) has just registered, and has joined a newly chartered Troop sponsored by his Church - to which most of the boys belong. All of the adults involved are dads, and none have any previous Scouting experience.

I grew up in a Scouting family which was surrounded by other Scouting families. My dad served on the Troop Committee for years, even after I went to college. I started in Scouting as a Bobcat, ready to do his "good deed", going to Eagle as a 15 year old in 1969. I was fortunate to belong to a well established troop which had a reputation for a strong camping and outdoor program and lots of Eagle Scouts - I think I was the 13th active one in my troop when I got mine. Without question Scouting has been one of the strongest influences in my life.

I am hoping to find a way to contribute to Sam's troop, and help my buddy become a good Scouter - but most importantly, help them come to love what Scouting will do for each of them and their family, as it did for mine.

I cherish thousands of memories of my years as a Boy Scout - and find that most of the folks that post on this forum regularly feel the same way. I'm looking forward to reading many, many items of great advice from all of you.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Welcome! I have some good friends over there, some have been in scouting in the past so I know there are good programs in that area. I'll probably get over to V'burg later this summer to visit. Hope you have a great time with the boys.

Welcome! Jackson is my home town, although I've been living in Florida and Hawai'i for many years. Was in Pack and Troop 3 at the now defunct Capitol Street Methodist Church.

Enjoy your Scouting experiences!

A big welcome to the forum...lots of great folks here with a wealth of experience, and information to tap into.

For myself, when in Mississippi, I like to ramble near Corinth, and Iuka staying at a nearby State Park with it's easy access to Shiloh...