The official POR description "The troop librarian oversees the care and use of troop books, pamphlets, magazines, audiovisuals, and merit badge counselor lists."

MB counselor lists??? I thought only the SM and Advancement Coordinator were to have these lists. The SM gives scouts contact info for 1 or 2 counselors when giving a signed blue card to start a badge.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Where does the SM keep the list? With the troop librarian, of course!

The POR description doesn't say the librarian gives out contact info anymore than it says he is expected to recite the requirements in each MB pamphlet! He just makes sure the list is someplace where the key adults can find it.

There's a printed MBC lists?!?!?!?!? ;)

Yep the Librarian keeps a hold of it, if there is one, as wella s allthe other media.

I know backin the day, my local public libary got a copy of the MBC list from the district that was bound at a local bindary.

Our "library" is a couple of carry cases that we keep in a back room at the meeting place. It's available to the boys if the librarian is absent. It holds MB pamphlets and other reference material.

I see absolutely no problem with filing the MB councils list on a shelf where every boy has access. Since the ideal way to teach a skill includes referencing, SM should coach the scout in looking up counselors and once the boy finds the page for a particular badge, SM identifies the counselors the boys should call. Boy then copies the contact info while SM is filling out the blue card. Boy returns list to library and checks out a MB pamphlet. He is then ready do start his journey on his own time.

What you don't want is parents with unfettered access to that list. As it is, parents constantly ask me who is MBC for what. Even after hearing my "I don't know, but I'm sure mr SM will find the right counselor for your boy" for the umpteenth time, they keep asking.

My troop's library growing up was first stored in a closest, then a shed. Librarian, ok technically it was an Leadership Corps member assigned those duties (we thought of librarians as "little old ladies," and no one really wanted the title. 10+years later look at me ;) )

So the books were in crates on a shelf.

One troop I know of has combo desk and book case set up that they use.

Our troop meets in the cafeteria of a middle school. The only thing that gets stored there are the troop flags/stands. In summer we meet at the picnic shelter of a local forest preserve. No place for Librarian to store materials.

One of our many Aspy Scouts has been our Librarian for years - it's the only POR he can deal with, and he does an excellent job! He's cataloged everything, and no one can touch it but him. Everyone, including adults, must check things out through the Librarian. He monitors updates and lets us know when we need to update a particular MB book, and which ones are so out of date they cannot be used and must be archived. And yes, he manages our archive as well!

But, as far as the list of counselors? No, he doth not maintain. That stays with the Advancement Committee person. Which works out just fine.

Z, it sounds like your librarian will be porting a file box from home to the meetings whereas ours port it from the storage closet to the hall where we meet. We use durable plastic hanging file boxes.

In that case I would definitely concur that the SM should have a back-up copy, but not rely on it. If you want more adult leadership involved in this, fine, but I'd rather adults focus on maintaining their cars' tires, brakes, and windshield wipers.

(Blew a tire on today's commute. Could you tell?)