general procedure for being an adult volunteer

hello all!

i am wondering if there is a standard procedure for becoming an adult volunteer. yes, i already know that there is a bunch of training to do after someone is registered with a troop. but how does the registration process begin. i have already reengaged with my old troop and have been to a few meetings and am wondering about the next appropriate step.

thanks so much

Gnome

The BSA still likes the carbon copy form. The troop should have them. You need to fill one out and give it to the unit so they can decide if they want to sign it and turn it in to the Council. There is also a small fee which I don't remember (our unit pays it for adults)

Welcome aboard.

This is an unusual, but sensible inquiry. I hadn't really given it much thought.

The next step, if you haven't already done this, is to consider what role you want to play as a volunteer and discuss this with the committee chair and the SM. Depending on that desired position, you should then engage with the youth leadership of the troop by having the SM introduce you and seeking to find out what they want and expect from the troop program. Simultaneously you should be pursuing the training necessary for the position. You should also pursue the online training, particularly Youth Protection.

One bureacratic formality is to find out what your member number is. If you were previously registered as an adult with another troop, or even possibly as a youth member, you may well have a dormant membership number that you do not know about. You will need this as you proceed with training so as to create an identifiable record of your qualifications that can be accessed as needed by others.

You should also schedule a physical examination with your doctor, particularly if you are 40 or over. Maybe you obtain regular physicals, but if you have not had one in awhile you should do so soon. Even if you are not planning to function as an ASM, but do plan to go on outings, you should do this. This is important for your own safety if there is any concern about your ability and fitness for various types of activities. Have your doctor complete the appropriate part of the health form. You will need to provide the health history, current medications, etc.(This message has been edited by eisely)

Hiya Gnome,

Welcome back to Scouting!

The procedure is goin' to depend a bit on your troop, eh? Each troop and the Chartered Organization that runs 'em are goin' to be different in how they select and screen leaders. Yeh really need to ask them what they feel is appropriate in terms of next steps.

From the BSA perspective, once a troop has decided it would like you to serve in some role as an adult volunteer, the troop will ask you to fill out an application, it must be approved by the Chartered Organization, and yeh have to complete the BSA's youth protection training. After the Chartered Organize BSA takes it and runs a background check and you're registered.

Da process, however, always starts at the local troop level, so that's where yeh need to start as well.

Beavah

One thing that you can do while waiting to ask your SM or CC how you could best serve your unit, is to create an account with scouting.org and take the online Youth Protection course.

Membership applications for adults need proof that you've completed it anyway.

Once you've found your old or been given a new memberid number, you can log on to scouting.org and match it with your online account. This will give you access to a bucket load of other courses you may take.

All the previous posters missed an important point...

Invited or asked by the troop or Chartered Organization........

Just because you want to join does not mean they HAVE to take you....

Have you been asked to join???

If not speak with the scoutmaster and Charter Org Rep about becoming a member....In the discussion include where your interest are...

So a quik list

1. Invitation to join or ask to join

2. Take YP needs to be turned in with completed application in our council

3. Fill out application

4. Finish training

5. Have fun with

Physical and all that stuff is putting the cart before the horse in my book......

Once you get the form submitted, go camping with the troop! There is no better way to get to know everyone involved. You need to see if and how you fit in to the big picture. You will get into a lot of good discussions while sitting around a campfire.