Emb021 states it right on the 'Jamboree'. Its a National and International event.

There are camporees. They can be district or council. and those putting on the event decide who is allowed to come. for example my district is usually only district but they may get a neighboring Troop from another district WITHIN our council. Our Council puts on what is called Council Trophy Challenge (CTC) that has been going on for a few years. Was only for our Council but its has opened up in that last couple years to other Councils because of word of mouth.

There is also another term used called 'Brotherhood'. Dorchester International Brotherhood is one (or is it Dochester International Camporee??) There is a USA/Cananda Brotherhood in the 1000 Island that rotates back and forth in hosting each September. Brotherhoods usually are opened camporees.

What is nice about Brotherhoods is one get to see another area but still pay the same price as if one is close to home unless one pitches in for the gas price and tolls... *smiles These brotherhoods introduce the youth leaders to patch trading and other country and other states thus opening their world view from outside of council. Pen pals are formed. A better term is e-pals in this techno age.. *laughing

The National Council reserves the term "Jamboree" for National and International events. So local councils CAN'T call local events "jamboree" without National approval.

But does national approve of some councils labeling their big events

"Jamborees", or do councils proceed on a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" basis?

In any case I'm proud to be part of an organization that caused Webster's to re-write their entry on this one.

emb021

The term jamboree is not an exclusively owned, or copyrighted word nor can it be "reserved" as you state by the BSA or anyone else. It is a generic term for a gathering. A council can call an event the Horseshoe Council Jamboree or the Gold Rush District Jamboree for example without any need to get permission from National. Jamboree is also used by the GSUSA and several other civic organizations for special celebrations.

My council has a camporee once a year. I have been to a few of them and they are ok, but not amazing. They are usually campouts focused on learning scout skills and celebrating the scouting movement or firefighters, or soldiers, or Native Americans, well you get the point. However, this year the camporee is advertised as being a backpacking/outback campout a few miles into the woods at our camp. I don't know how that's going to work out, but I am curious and will probably go.

FYI: Our council is relatively small in geographical size, and has never been one for the jamboree/ non camping type of event. I am not familiar with the large scale experiences some of you have described.