Yes, there is engineering, welding, drill, painting, fiberglass work. There are requirements for each rank that have you doing progressively bigger projects on your boat. You also have to be able to use all the tools commonly used on the boats your ship has. We have steel, wood, and fiberglass, so you have to be able to work on all three.

Sailing

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHSSSHSHSHHSHSHSHH Don't say that out loud or national by put restrictions on the stuff ya do. As it is right now, somethings that Boy Scouts use to do they are no longer able to, and oen reason is OSHA laws. Now how did laws dealing wiht business safety come to affect a volunteer org, I can onlu imagine.

Quartermaster and Eagle are only "equivalent" in the sense that they are the highest awards of their programs.

People need to keep in mind that the Boy Scout program was written to the reading & ability of a 11/12 year old boy. (and that includes Eagle Scout).

Quartermaster was written to a high school age youth (basically 17/18 year old).

In addition to doing a service project, Quartermasters ALSO have to do a "Quartermaster sail". This requires the Sea Scout to be in charge of his boat undersail for 72 hours. That a lot more then what Eagle Scouts will do.

"I've also challenged Eagle scouts to go for the Hornaday award. No takers yet."

I attempted to do the Hornaday badge, but due to lack of information out there, the council conservation committee rejected the project although I had plenty of MBs because it wasn't "in-depth enough" for the standards. How can one expect "standards" to be met when they are not readily available?

I digress.

I am an eagle, and definitely not offended. I don't know of any ships in my council, but I'd like to get working on Venturing advancement this summer; I miss the challenge advancement provided. I just may not have the time to do it though.

"Unfortuantely for Eagle, all you have to do is be on the charter to meet the "Active" definition, unless the GtA changed that. For the Sea Scout ranks, active means attending 75% of all unit meetings and activities. So just being on a ship's charter won't count."

I understand what you're getting at but can you really tell me someone who has earned 21 merit badges, served in leadership positions for at least 3 ranks, met all the camping requirements for both rank and camping merit badge (including a long term camping requirement), worked on service projects through the ranks, designed and led an Eagle service project, met all the requirements for T-FC, completed 7 Scoutmaster Conferences and 6 Boards of Review hasn't been active? Unless the leaders are enabling someone to cheat, over the course of an Eagle Scout's career, he's likely to have been active in at leat 75% of a units activities - If a Scout has been 90% active the first three years, then drops to 70% active the next three years, he's been active 80% of his career. If the Sea Scouts want to use a numerical metric and it works for them, great - but it doesn't neccessarily mean that it's any more intensive than a Boy Scouts. There are a lot more ways for a Boy Scout to be active outside his unit's meetings and activities - and earning merit badges is just one example.

"In addition to doing a service project, Quartermasters ALSO have to do a "Quartermaster sail". This requires the Sea Scout to be in charge of his boat undersail for 72 hours. That a lot more then what Eagle Scouts will do."

Unless I misread the info at the link SailingPJ provided, the Quartermaster sail is 40 hours, including 2 nights. An awful lot of SPL's provide that kind of leadership on weekend campouts, in a properly run boy-led outfit. As for the service project, unless there is a workbook similar to the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook that I'm missing, the process seems a bit easier to accomplish for that age group, and if the person has already earned Eagle Scout, it should be simpler.

here are some examples I don't see wiht BS advancement

Ordinary:

Explain the use of charcoal, pressurized alcohol, and propane. Include safety precautions for each.

Successfully complete a boating safety course approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) offered by one of the following agencies: a state boating agency, the United States Power Squadrons, the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, or other private or military education courses.

16. ElectivesDo any three of the following:

a. Drill: Demonstrate your ability to execute commands in close-order drill.

b. Yacht Racing: Describe the procedures used in yacht racing and the signals used by the race committee to start a race. Serve as a crew member in a race sailed under current International Sailing Federation Rules.

c. Sailing: In a cat-rigged or similar small vessel, demonstrate your ability to sail single-handedly a triangular course (leeward, windward, and reaching marks). Demonstrate beating, reaching, and running. A qualified sailing instructor should observe this requirement.

e. Engines: Perform routine maintenance on your ships propulsion system, including filter, spark plug, oil changes, proper fueling procedures and other routine maintenance tasks. Refer to operations manuals or your ships adult leaders for correct procedures and guidance.

f. USPS: Join a local Power Squadron as an Apprentice member.

USCGAux: Successfully complete either the Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Skills and Seamanship or Sailing Skills and Seamanship course. All core sessions, as well as at least three elective sessions, must be completed to fulfill this requirement.

Able

14. ElectivesDo any three of the following.

a. Sailing: While leading a crew of not less than two other persons, demonstrate your ability to sail a sloop or another suitable vessel correctly and safely over a triangular course (leeward, windward, reaching marks), demonstrating beating, reaching, running, and the proper commands.

b. Vessels: Teach and lead a crew under oar using a boat pulling at least four oars single- or double-banked. Perform the following maneuvers: get underway, maneuver ahead and back, turn the boat in its own length, dock, and secure.

c. Drill: Demonstrate your ability to give and execute commands in close-order drill.

d. Engines:

i. Understand the safe and proper procedures for the use of gasoline and diesel inboard engines, including fueling, pre-start checks, ventilation, starting, running, periodic checks while running, securing, postoperative checks, and keeping an engine log.

ii. Using the type of engine aboard the vessel you most frequently use, demonstrate your understanding of basic troubleshooting and the preventive maintenance schedule recommended by the manufacturer.

e. Yacht Racing:

i. Demonstrate your understanding of the shapes, flag hoists, gun, and horn signals used in yacht racing as well as a working knowledge of the racing rules of the International Sailing Federation.

ii. Serve as helmsman, with one or more additional crew members, of a sloop-rigged or other suitable boat with a spinnaker in a race sailed under ISAF racing rules.

f. Complete the American Red Cross Standard First Aid course.

g. Obtain CPR certification from a certified agency.

h. Fiberglass Repair and Maintenance: Demonstrate your proficiency and knowledge of fiberglass repair and gel coating while working on your ships vessel or other similar vessel.

i. Specialty Proficiency: Become a certified scuba diver or become proficient in boardsailing, surfing, kayaking, or whitewater rafting/canoeing.

j. USPS: As an apprentice member of the United States Power Squadrons complete the Seamanship and Piloting courses

or

USCGAux: Successfully complete the Coast Guard Auxiliary Weekend Navigator course.

QM

Quartermaster Cruise: Take command of a vessel with a crew of not less than four Sea Scouts for at least 40 consecutive hours, including two nights. You must delegate and supervise all duties. During the cruise complete the following: Inspect the vessel for required equipment; supervise all menu preparation; prepare the boat to get underway with a proper checklist approved by the adult leaders; anchor, dock, and maintain course by commands to the helmsman; remain underway for an extended period during darkness; and discuss appropriate nighttime running procedures. While underway, perform the following drills: man overboard, damage control, abandon ship, fire, collision, and any other drills used by your ship. During this cruise no substantial errors may be committed.

or

Successfully complete SEAL (Sea Scout Advanced Leadership) training.

Swimming

Either complete the requirements for BSA Lifeguard or complete a Red Cross lifesaving course or other certified lifesaving course. MY COMMENTS: BSA LIFEGUARD AND ARC ARE THE SAME NOW. I PERSONALLY THINK THIS REQURIEMENT NEED TO BE REVISED TO INCLUDE BOAT RESUES VIA AQUATIC SUPERVISOR CERTIFICATION FOR BOATING. ( caps to state opinion.)

13. ElectivesDo any four of the following.

a. Sailing: Know the principles of handling a schooner, ketch, yawl, or other suitable sailing vessel. Under competent direction, take charge of a crew and demonstrate your ability to handle a suitable sailing vessel in all points of sail.

b. Engines:

i. Explain the principal features of steam turbine, turboelectric, direct reversing diesel, diesel-electric, gas turbine, nuclear, gasoline, and diesel engines and the relative advantages of each type.

ii. Explain the operation of spark ignition and compression ignition for internal combustion engines used aboard small vessels.

iii. Demonstrate your familiarity with the engine aboard the vessel used by your ship, including its principles of operation, fuel, lubrication, cooling and electrical systems, and their component parts.

iv. Demonstrate your ability to locate and correct minor engine troubles according to the engine manufacturers troubleshooting guide.

c. Vessel Maintenance: Take charge of reconditioning or overhauling at least one of your ships vessels, or take charge of hauling out the principal vessel used by your ship. In either case, lay out a plan of the work to be done in advance, including an estimate of the materials, tools, cost, and time involved.

d. Electricity:

i. Know and demonstrate the correct method of rescuing a person in contact with a live wire.

ii. Understand the construction of simple battery cells. Demonstrate the proper care of storage batteries.

iii. Explain the difference between direct current and alternating current and the best uses for each.

iv. Demonstrate that you know how to replace fuses, reset circuit breakers, and properly splice shipboard electric cable.

v. Submit a diagram of the electrical system aboard the vessel used by your ship.

vi. Explain wire tables, the current-carrying capacity of circuits, and the hazards and prevention of electrical overloading.

vii. Explain electrolysis as applied to the deterioration of a boats underwater fittings by galvanic action and its prevention.

e. Navigation:

i. Explain how the sextant works. Show how to use it and demonstrate measuring horizontal angles and altitudes.

ii. Find latitude by the altitude of Polaris or by the suns altitude at local apparent noon. Demonstrate how longitude is determined.

iii. Demonstrate finding error in the boats compass by the suns azimuth.

f. Drill: Demonstrate your ability to handle the ships company in close-order drill. Do all required maneuvers.

g. Piloting: Under competent direction, assume the duties of navigator of your ships vessel. Plot its projected course between two ports at least two hours apart and cruise that course mooring to mooring handling all piloting duties. The cruise should be made in daylight hours with good visibility.

h. Yacht Racing Crew: Take charge of a crew in a race using current ISAF racing rules.

i. Rigging: Demonstrate your ability to splice and handle wire rope, attach wire rope fittings, and complete a safety and tuning inspection of a ship vessel.

j. USPS: As an apprentice member of the United States Power Squadrons complete the Advanced Piloting course.

k. USCGAux: Join a local Coast Guard Auxiliary flotilla as a Basic Qualified member and qualify for any Operational Auxiliary Program (AUXOP) or Trident Marine Safety specialty rating.

Emb,

You and I know that, but most people don't. That's why I explain what's required after saying "equivalent". Most people I've talked to say "WOW" when they hear some of the requirements.

Let me also explain how active many ships really are. We don't do a meeting a week plus one or two outings a week. Every ship I have been a part of has a meeting about 50 weeks a year, and has a 1-3 day weekend event at least 48 weeks a year. It depends on when the holidays fall. Unless there is a holiday we are doing something on our boats, be it maintenance, cruising, or some form of training, or all of the above. One day of our summer cruise another crew member and I taught a third crew member how to paint the steel deck in 90 degree heat while cruising down the Sacramento river.

Many ships do one or two 10-14 days summer cruises, and a fair amount also do a 5-10 day winter cruise.

So that 75% attendance means you are there for a minimum of 75% of those activities.

When you are Boatswain, or most any other petty officer, you have to keep track of all the events that are coming up, and you have a hand in planning most of them.

"Unless I misread the info at the link SailingPJ provided, the Quartermaster sail is 40 hours, including 2 nights. An awful lot of SPL's provide that kind of leadership on weekend campouts, in a properly run boy-led outfit."

Sorry, but I was an SPL. Being an SPL on a camping trip is a cakewalk to what you need to do for a Quartermaster Sail. Can not be compared.