BSA and Hunting Good or Ill Fitting

"I'm not sure I understand, either ..."

Leslie Zevoe's dad referred to interests like this as the "domain of the small penis".

:)

Personally, I just avoid thinking about it. ;)

Edit: Ethics...every time I go by certain places, I find deer carcasses discarded by the road. They have bullet damage, sometimes extreme (as in most of the head or gut blown away), and they are often very young, sometimes still with spots and sometimes does, even sometimes pregnant. Fact is, as much as all of us consider this wanton waste to be illegal and repugnant, it is still hunting - at least in the mind of whoever is doing this. In some cases I have counted dozens of these carcasses and because I am in those locations fairly frequently I know they are not accumulated over a long time. Ethics of hunting? OK, I'll give people out west or in Alaska the pass for meat hunting. Some of them. But the concept of ethics and what I've observed as 'sport hunting' around these parts just don't seem to fit together.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

pack, I read your post and immediately thought of a couplet from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner,

'The game is done! I've won! I've won!'

When arguments are based on the size of the opponents genitalia, the game is pretty much over...

Drinking alcohol is not in of itself illegal, but it can be used in the commision of a crime, does not make drinking alchol bad.

A car can be used to assault a human, doesnt mean we should stop using them

I could go on, but have already shown an emotional connection to the subject so I can't discuss it much either.

Hunting, when legal, I want to do and have other people enjoy. Just because some people corrupt things does not make the things bad, it just makes it a tool in the hands of a corrupt person

I don't hunt.

The idea just doesn't hold any real interest for me.

I am a life time member of the Wild Turkey Federation given to me for services rendered.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who hunt in the areas around where I live. But due to a few idiots all the lands I own are posted no hunting.

These idiots seem to think that hunting is about drinking beer, leaving a mess and a pile of dead geese. I know that these guys are few but I just don't need the extra work clearing up after them. (End of rant.)

Ask me personally about young people and hunting? I'll very much OK with it.

I'm not sure that there is any real need for the BSA to get involved? My feeling is that this is a case where we need a lot more experience than maybe most Scouter's have and we don't have any real way of enforcing rules that are in place or are added.

Still at the end of the day, I think we can overcome all of this.

But..

While I might be OK, I'm not so sure about what others might say.

Given the media coverage of young people shooting other young people at school and elsewhere, I kinda think that this might be a PR nightmare for the BSA.

Can you imagine the headlines if a lad learned to hunt in the Boy Scouts and then went on a shooting spree at a public place?

Or if there were to be an accident where a Boy Scout on a Troop hunting trip were to shoot someone?

I kinda think if I were the guy at the top, this might be somewhere where I just wouldn't want to go.

OGE you have some really wonderful state hunting areas near where you live!

Ea.

I have never hunted and doubt that I ever will. However I respect those whom I know who hunt responsibly.

Deer hunting is almost a necessity throughout the USA since the deer populations have exploded and the deer are becoming real pests. Controlling the deer population through hunting would likely also result in a healtheir deer population.

Certainly I have no sympathy for the irresponsible louts who combine alchohol and hunting.

Hunting as I understand it teaches valuable habits such as patience and knowing what you are shooting at. Even Hollywood seems to acknowledge the value of hunting in the recent flick "The Hunger Games". One of the major reasons for the heroine's success was her experience as a hunter.

Back in the day Camp Avondale in Istrouma Area Council had a "Hunting Weekend" that they did every few years. In addition to you LA license, you had to have a special Camp Avondale License if memory serves. The Hunt did 2 things. 1) Raise money for the council. 2) Thin the herd to prevent overpopulation.