Birthday Wishes to the Founder

I beleive it was B-P that is credited with starting the world wide Scouting Movement, Earnest Seton and Dan Beard are in the category of BSA originators and there is a difference

As far as B-P liking younger women, it was not unusual in the second half of the 19th century for older "established" men to wed younger women.

I have to say, those who have read the forum for awhile know a former member of the Venturong Crew I help start became a Professional Scouter, she is on her way to be a District Director in the Cradle of Liberty COuncil March 1, 2012 after being the DE here in the District I serve. At one Crew meeting we were talking about B-P, his good friend Julitte Gordon-Lowe, who turned down a marriage proposal from B-P or so it was asserted. The Prospective DE commented on the age difference and we realized I was 55, the age B-P married Olave and the YOung Lady was 23, Olaves age when they wed. We looked at each other and both said "eeewwwww" at the same time. Great hilarity followed. FUnny how times change

True, BP is credited with starting the world wide Scouting Movement. Both Seaton and Baden-Powell knew each other and corresponded long before the creation of the Boy Scout movement.

It is certainly arguable bits of Seaton's 1906 book "The Birch Bark Roll of the Woodcraft Indians " found it's way into BP's "Scouting for Boys" in 1908.

In a letter to Seaton, in August of 1906, Baden-Powell commented "sincerely grateful to you for your kindness in forwarding me your interesting Birch Bark". He went on to say that he was thinking about "a scheme with a handbook to it, for the education of boys as scouts - which essentially runs along the same lines of yours."

If anyone is interested in the relationship of Baden-Powell, Seaton,and Beard (as well as the early history of Scouting in America),

I would highly recommend a book by David Scott and Brendan Murphy call "The Scouting Party".(This message has been edited by oldisnewagain1)