Hey everyone I'm so glad that I found this forum!!! I'm really need some help I'm a Webelo Den Leader with 12 scouts and I have 1 Webelo 2 in my den he has done very good completing tasks except the Outdoorsman that is needed since he does want to earn his Arrow of Light. It was my understanding that he needed to "camp" I'm having a really hard time with his parents about the camping their comment is that its always too cold but my other webelos seem to make it just fine. Please tell me what I can do.

Can he earn his Outdoorsman and Arrow of Light without camping?

It is possible to earn AOL and Outdoorsman without the overnight campout, but it's not nearly as much fun. We just had twin boys earn AOL without the campout. No one in their family had ever spent the night in a tent and we didn't realize it until last winter. There is no way in the world to ever consider a first time campout in a Michigan winter. Our troop did a recent campout that was 5 below. My Webelo son was mad that he couldn't go.

I would suggest that you pair this kid up with a scoutmaster or better, an experience Boy Scout to discuss how to stay warm and comfortable when camping. Thermal socks, all cotton stuff left at home, change clothes before bed, a good sleeping mat and maybe an extra blanket will do wonders.

If he's pushing for Arrow of Light, that means he has committed to joining a troop, which means he is going to go camping. The more you do it, the easier and more fun it is, so start the fun now.

Seeing a pattern? Use the word "fun" as often as possible and encourage him along.

Regarding the parents, gently advise them that just because they don't like it doesn't mean he doesn't have to do something. My dad slept in his last tent in the army years before I came along. I now have more tents than people in my family and I have four kids.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Are you affiliated with a Troop?

If so, are they supporting you?

If not, if the local Troops want your Webelos now and in the future they should be courting you to some degree.

Getting a Den Chief from them to help with these issues is one way to go.

If he can speak confidently about his experiences with both the the youth and his parents and show them the gear he actually uses it may help.

Also, the Troop should be thinking about these things and having (At least one) campouts available in the warmest most conducive weather to Webelos in order to assist them in their goal of earning the badge and AoL and to get them a chance to meet the Troop - with their own goals also in mind, of course.

Or, you may be dealing with parents who will insist on "babying" their son, it's okay until he crosses over but they need to begin letting go now. It doesn't work well for the Scout or his Patrol later on.