Thanks to everyone for the great input on paddles and PFDs. I have one last question concerning paddle length. The old Canoeing MB book says to measure a paddle by standing next to it and matching the length between your nose and chin. For my son that would equal a 5' paddle. ScoutMKE mentioned that that was too long of a paddle. The new Canoeing MB book says to place the paddle in the water up to the throat while you're sitting in the canoe, the top of the handle should be at your shoulder. Well since it's February and a little too cold do be sitting in a canoe I'm going to try to figure this out by simple math.

The paddles I have all have a blade length up to the throat of about 20".

Figure I'm sitting about 6" above waterline.

My son (representing an average sized scout) sitting in a chair has a measurement from seat to shoulder of 22"

Total length is 48"

I figure I need 4' and 4-1/2' paddles.

Sound reasonable?(This message has been edited by Eagle732)(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

4 foot and 4.5 feet paddles sound a little short to me. Reaching your chin while standing was the measure we used in the dark ages.

If you're going to err, I'd lean towards paddles being too long.

1- If you can't reach the water with a short paddle, bending over ever stroke to paddle is going to result in a really sore back.

2- If the paddle is too long for any particular scout, the resulting leverage makes each stroke harder to complete; BUT the energy expended into that stroke still gets transmitted into forward motion, just slower strokes.

3- Longer paddles are better for stern paddlers - ruddering and bracing.

4- Longer paddles are excellent for cross-thwart bracing for ingress/egress.

You made me look:

From the Carlise paddle website:

Canoe Paddles

Average length: 56"-58"

Choosing a canoe paddle length is a fairly straight forward formula. Sit in a chair and measure from your chair seat to your nose. Add this number to the height of your canoe seat, then add the length of the paddle blade.

An even simpler formulas is this, 56 to 58 inch lengths fits 80% of all whitewater canoeist. If you are in a open canoe with a taller seat or have a long torso you may want to consider a longer length 60 to 62 inch paddle. Paddlers with shorter torsos may prefer a 52 or 54 inch paddle.

So 4.5 foot (54 inches) may be okay for shorter Scouts. But I'd hesitate to cut it all the way down to 48".

(This message has been edited by JoeBob)

Type III are nice to wear. They are not intended to hold an unconcious person face up.

Type II slowly saw through the neck of the wearer while paddling. They're excruciating on sunburn THEY MAY hold an unconcious person face up. They are the least expensive.

Type I are expensive, hot, and are INTENDED to hold an unconcious person face up. Bent shaft paddles are great on flat water like lakes. I don't reccomend them for rivers, and I advise against them for any kind of rapids. The inexpensive aluminun shaft plastic bladed paddles are nice because the T handle is good for rescue.

Get 'em at Fleet Farm.

You've just seen part of my Safe Swim Defence & Safety Afloat presentaton. Jay (BSA Aquatics Director)

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered 16 Cabelas Deluxe Adult type 3 PFDs for a total of $180 shipped. They are on sale now with $5 shipping per order.

We took chest measurements of all the boys and ended up buying 8 in the S/M/L size and 8 in the XL size.

Now on to paddles. I'll call Carlisle (Old Town) tomorrow and see if they'll meet the offer that Mohawk has of $12 each with a minimum order of 12. If not we'll buy Mohawk.

Also I a call just before our meeting yesterday from a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary who offered to do a Safe Boating course for the boys for free. He stopped by and spoke with the boys during the meeting and most wanted to sign up.

One other minor thing:

At National Camping School, Cole Canoe Base, June 2010, Aquatics Instructor class. We were told: "PFD is OUT! They are, again, "LIFEJACKETS!"

This was reportedly done to reduce confusion at family events, and when using non-BSA outfitters.

It's been changed in Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, they said.

About paddles:

I called Carlisle today about paddles and the regional sales guy hooked me up with a local distributor who sold me their Economy paddles for $12.50 each plus shipping. Apparently this is a program for businesses and groups and the factory sales guy has to set up the deal for you.

Meritbadge.com, which sites the 2012 Boy Scout Requirement book as its source refers to PFDs or Personal Flotation Devices five times in the requirements.

This should really add to the confusion of what PFD means at family events :)

Personal Flotation Device, a device designed to keep a wearer afloat

Partial Fraction Decomposition, a process used to reduce the degree of the numerator or denominator of a fraction

Phase Frequency Detector, a device which compares the phase of two input signals

Primary Flight Display, a modern aircraft instrument dedicated to flight information

Probability of Failure on Demand, see Safety Integrity Level

Process Flow Diagram, a diagram of the general flow of plant processes and equipment

Prepared For Dyeing, a fabric or garment that is specially made to be dyed

Pelvic Floor disorder or Postpartum Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (PPFD), a group of clinical conditions

Professional Disc, recordable optical disc format (This one's a stretch)

1. When I go to National Camping School (NCS) for my next recert in 2014, they'll probably tell me something else again. I talked to other peaople who went to Aquatics Instructor class at different 2010 and 2011 NCS, and they were told the same thing.

2. It took a long time to get Merit Badge requirements updated to reflect that Second Class requirement 7 no longer has anything to do with Aquatics.

3. I, personally, don't care what they're called, just wear them.