(Practically) No More Pioneering Towers??

There has been talk about this "New Rule" for a very long time.

I remember it being talked about back in 1999.

Other than people talking about it, I have yet to see the black and white.

As for Pioneering becoming a lost art?

I think part of the reason is that there seems to be fewer people who bother to learn about it, maybe because they are a little intimidated.

While a lot of the needed equipment can be found for the asking a lot of it can be very expensive especially if it's not going to get a lot of use.

There are a few nuts like myself who have a fair amount of their own gear, just because they are into it.

A lot of these so called rules tend to get up my nose a bit.

I have been an adult leader for a fair amount of time.

I'm involved because I happen to like kids.

Me doing anything that is lightly to harm them or hurt them?

Just is silly.

Scouting is all about having fun.

The fun stops when someone gets hurt.

A well built ten foot tower is a lot safer than a six foot one that is not built correctly or built with poor materials.

I'm willing to put my knowledge and experience up against these so called rules any day of the week.

Ea.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eamonn

A well written post right to the point. You know the next time our crew is asked to do a pioneering demo I think I will invite Bob M. and Tico to come see for themselves,see some real scouting in action, and then challenge both of them to a race up a 20 foot tower, think they will come, lol.

Seeing the shape both of them are in I will make sure to have a team of paramedics standing by.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to report that Pioneering is alive and well and growing here in the Pee Dee Area Council, and I believe there should be a solid resurgence on a national level in the next few years. Here in SC we have a plentiful supply of pine (and bamboo too) and a really fine source for 600' x 1/4" pure manila! In and through the silly height restrictions imposed upon us, our pioneering programs are flourishing. A major part of Pioneering is bridge building[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/03/09/pioneering-bridges-and-the-saga-of-the-bridge-of-fifteen-nations/], and there are plenty of opportunities to span short chasms and gullies with SIngle Lock, Single Trestle and Single A-Frame bridges.

As for the disturbing 5' height restrictions, we're excited about a new project. We call it a Double Platform Monkey Bridge[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/01/04/double-platform-monkey-bridge/]. It incorporates two 8' towers with 5' platforms, connected by a rope bridge. It's inauguraral construction is this April to be built by a crew from he Chicora Chapter of the Santee Lodge and featured at our upcoming Council Scout Expo. Also slotted for this expo is a 14' Tower Gateway[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/02/28/tower-gateway-4-flag-tower/]. It's adapted from the 14' Double Ladder Signal Tower designed by the late Adolph Peschke, author of the previous Pioneering Merit Badge Pamphlet. The troop putting this up (using bamboo spars) is very excited! Looking forward to posting some photos!!

I've heard that the next World Jamboree will be held here in the USA at the Bechtel Family Scout Reservation. What on earth will we do about all the tall, tall Pioneering structures regularly erected at World Jamborees by other countries? I guess they can be as tall as they like, but they just can't climb 'em!

Just wanted to report that Pioneering is alive and well and growing here in the Pee Dee Area Council, and I believe there should be a solid resurgence on a national level in the next few years. Here in SC we have a plentiful supply of pine (and bamboo too) and a really fine source for 600' x 1/4" pure manila! In and through the silly height restrictions imposed upon us, our pioneering programs are flourishing. A major part of Pioneering is bridge building[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/03/09/pioneering-bridges-and-the-saga-of-the-bridge-of-fifteen-nations], and there are plenty of opportunities to span short chasms and gullies with SIngle Lock, Single Trestle and Single A-Frame bridges.

As for the disturbing 5' height restrictions, we're excited about a new project. We call it a Double Platform Monkey Bridge[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/01/04/double-platform-monkey-bridge/]. It incorporates two 8' towers with 5' platforms, connected by a rope bridge. It's inauguraral construction is this April to be built by a crew from he Chicora Chapter of the Santee Lodge and featured at our upcoming Council Scout Expo. Also slotted for this expo is a 14' Tower Gateway[/url=http://scoutpioneering.com/2013/02/28/tower-gateway-4-flag-tower/]. It's adapted from the 14' Double Ladder Signal Tower designed by the late Adolph Peschke, author of the previous Pioneering Merit Badge Pamphlet. The troop putting this up (using bamboo spars) is very excited! Looking forward to posting some photos!!

I've heard that the next World Jamboree will be held here in the USA at the Bechtel Family Scout Reservation. What on earth will we do about all the tall, tall Pioneering structures regularly erected at World Jamborees by other countries? I guess they can be as tall as they like, but they just can't climb 'em!

I apologize for intentially highjakcing this thread, but I seem to no longer be authorized to start new threads. This makes no sense to me. If anyone can clarify, I will be grateful.

I saw a post on facebook today featuring some pioneering projects which are sculptures of things like dragons and super heroes. It got me thinking again about how much I would like to do a pioneering project with my scouts. I only have second graders. Some of them can't even tie their shoes, but they use high-interest topics to encourage reluctant readers, and even a small pioneering project is more interesting than tying a shoe...

The thing that stops me in my tracks before I ever get started are the poles. Where on earth am I supposed to find some poles. I've read that bamboo works well, but I imagine we would need some poles at least 1" in diameter, maybe 2" depending on what we want to build, and I can't imagine where I might find that stuff, so I'm posting here in the hopes of finding out where some real scouters actually found some real poles for a real pioneering project. Thanks!

I apologize for intentially highjakcing this thread, but I seem to no longer be authorized to start new threads. This makes no sense to me. If anyone can clarify, I will be grateful.

I saw a post on facebook today featuring some pioneering projects which are sculptures of things like dragons and super heroes. It got me thinking again about how much I would like to do a pioneering project with my scouts. I only have second graders. Some of them can't even tie their shoes, but they use high-interest topics to encourage reluctant readers, and even a small pioneering project is more interesting than tying a shoe...

The thing that stops me in my tracks before I ever get started are the poles. Where on earth am I supposed to find some poles. I've read that bamboo works well, but I imagine we would need some poles at least 1" in diameter, maybe 2" depending on what we want to build, and I can't imagine where I might find that stuff, so I'm posting here in the hopes of finding out where some real scouters actually found some real poles for a real pioneering project. Thanks!

My troop got 100 5' 3" closet dowels from a local lumber store. They donated to use so cost us nothing. I bought the rope and now we have all of our pioneering supplies. :)

Just wanted to report that Pioneering is alive and well and growing here in the Pee Dee Area Council, and I believe there should be a solid resurgence on a national level in the next few years. Here in SC we have a plentiful supply of pine (and bamboo too) and a really fine source for 600' x 1/4" pure manila! In and through the silly height restrictions imposed upon us, our pioneering programs are flourishing. A major part of Pioneering is bridge building, and there are plenty of opportunities to span short chasms and gullies with SIngle Lock, Single Trestle and Single A-Frame bridges.

As for the disturbing 5' height restrictions, we're excited about a new project. We call it a Double Platform Monkey Bridge. It incorporates two 8' towers with 5' platforms, connected by a rope bridge. It's inauguraral construction is this April to be built by a crew from he Chicora Chapter of the Santee Lodge and featured at our upcoming Council Scout Expo. Also slotted for this expo is a 14' Tower Gateway. It's adapted from the 14' Double Ladder Signal Tower designed by the late Adolph Peschke, author of the previous Pioneering Merit Badge Pamphlet. The troop putting this up (using bamboo spars) is very excited! Looking forward to posting some photos!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to put this in perspective:

Per OSHA requirements (and in the USAF, we get this preached to us ALL of the time)... if you are standing on anything over 4' off the ground, you are subject to a possible Fall Hazard. You must be supported or tied off...

That being said, it's not any easier to look at a member of the Military (who may fight/die for our country) and tell them they can't do something, than it would be to look at a Scout.

I also agree with 99% of this post...I think this is an essential skill and very important for scouts to learn...