Protocol question: Den Chief Service Award

We will soon be awarding the "Den Chief Service Award" to a very deserving Scout in our Troop. I understand that once awarded, he will wear both his Webelos Den Chief braid and the service award braid at the same time. However, assuming that at some point he will likely move to different POR, I understand the Den Chief braid comes off, but does the service award braid stay on his uniform for the rest of his time as a Boy Scout?

Thanks!

Yep - the Den Chief Service Award can be worn for as long as the lad is a youth member, even if he's no longer a Den Chief.

Yep, the Den Chief Service Award braid can be worn with the Den Chief braid (Cub or Webelos) if the lad is actively serving as a Den Chief.

Note the CAN. He can wear just the Den Chief Service Award braid if he chooses, even if he's active as a Den Chief. In some larger packs, there may even be a tradition that a recipient of the DCSA who is an active Den Chief wear just the DSCA braid to indicate that he is a "senior" or more experienced Den Chief and serves, with the knowledge of the SM of course, as a mentor to the other Den Chiefs.

Congrats to the Scout (I earned the DCSA - I consider it one of the highlights).

Have you thought of recognizing him both at a Troop's COH (and invite the Cubmaster and Den Leader) and also at the next Pack Meeting (where hopefully the Cubmaster will invite the SM and SPL)?

One last thing - Den Chief is one of the POR's that, provided the Scout has time and the energy, can be done at the same time as another POR, so think about whether a good Den Chief really needs to "move on" to another POR.(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

My son was a Den Chief for a year and a half. He was presented the Service Award at the Blue and Gold, right before the Webelos crossover ceremony. It was also announced at the next CoH, a month later. He wears it proudly to this day, and I think he is more proud of that award than anything else he has accomplished in scouts thus far.