Meet kids at 4PM to go to the camp. Short drive, but really slow dirt road for six miles. Still worrying about the compass course I have set up; hope to have time to recheck again.

Feeding the whole group, 11 if they all show, and I have not shopped for beef (for the stew)and am in sticker shock. But got onions, celery, carrots (baby in bag), garlic, and mushrooms at the 99 Cent Store, along with 3 bags of rolls. So, that offset the meat I guess. Have to go start cutting up the beef and bagging it for the cooler. One and a half tri-tips at 2.97 a pound. With 15 events and temps in the high 70's to low 80's they should be hungry. Just hope my allergies do not go berserk; the camp is rolling pasture and oak with everything starting to bloom. We also have grazing cattle on the property which leave us their calling cards.

Great weather forecast though; not too hot and not cold at night. All new boys, so should be an adventure. Scottish theme, with some traditional Scottish events, and take offs on some. Haggis toss is water balloons.

Skeptic, thanks sharing your insight into unit level scouting--the heart of our BSA. Hope ya'll enjoy the weekend.

I hear you about the price of food...sign of the times for sure.

Ah,camping amongst the bovines...as I recall, the thoroughly dried cow pies made for good camp fires.

Desert; We cannot have open fires in our campsites, not even charcoal. They have a permit for the campfire bowl, and O.A. Dutch oven contest, or just cooking with it, has to be done on a large cement slab in the open field. I have a single burner Coleman I got to use with the dutch oven when I cannot have a fire. It works well. Am taking my #14 this time, since I am making a big pot of stew. Also will take the 12, so we can use it for heating water, and possibly other things.

Last word was that we would have close to 500 this time. Will be the largest in many years for us.

I'll have to point out to my troop and crew that being able to light a fire without paperwork is a unique privelage of geography and climate.

Sounds like an awesome stew -- which I wouldn't share with the boys if I were you!

Event went off well; weather was almost perfect. Slept out under stars and did not have to zip the bag, yet comfortable. My boys had fun, though did not choose well in events to try; waited too long for a couple, which kept them from doing more. They are starting to act like a patrol; but long way to go.

Am zonked, and will take a couple of days to recuperate. Stew turned out pretty well, but forgot to bring salt and pepper to add to taste. Campfire was impressive to start, and they retired two American flags with respect and dignity.