Calls for volunteers just don't work and have very rarely worked.

This is the number one point I make to everyone who calls for volunteers. It is far, far more effective to ask individuals to take on particular tasks.

For events like this, I'd suggest moving to a more collaborative model. Have a group meeting. Go to a specific set of people that you want help from, tell them that you think they would be valuable as pack leaders, and that you'd like to have them come to the meeting particularly to help with planning X. Then throw out the general idea, and see if they want the pack to do X. Do they take ownership of the event? Then you have to let them have it, for the most part. If they don't follow through and make things happen, then the event doesn't happen.

I guess it's an "ultimatum", but I wouldn't use that word. You're trying to build an organization, not looking to fire employees. Not every event has to happen. What events do the parents really like? Which ones do they want to have continue? Get them to step up to those.

When someone signs up a new scout, hand them a clip board with both adult, and youth aps, and sheets for your various sub-committees. Say, "please complete both applications, and choose the committee you will help with". Collect all paperwork before they leave the meeting,

Have a monthly parent's meeting, that breaks out into committees the week after your unit committee meeting.

The choice to become involved is made when the scout joins the unit, and the parent is made a part of things at the start. Everyone has some time, and some skill, and can help in some way.

Don't forget the reach out the Charter Org for additional help, it's common the find past scouts, parents of past scouts, and supporters of youth programs there.

The more hands the lighter the load.

Hello Ox,

I made up a form for parents to fill out, listing various kinds of pack tasks and asking them to check off the ones they are either interested in doing or good at doing.

It's sort of an abbreviated parent survey (which I find too complicated).

Within the next week I as Cubmaster (or hopefully our ScoutParent Coordinator, calls the new parent to welcome them into the pack and discuss the kinds of things they checked off and what kinds of things the pack needs done.

Filling out the adult application seems premature to me, both too complicated and not providing useful information to help have that conversation with the new parent.

I find you may still need to dog parents who prefer to avoid filling out even that kind of simple form --- I suspect they know it will be used to rope them in.

That's my bias, anyway.

In some locales, there are a fair number of adults who would willingly lend a hand, but who won't agree to go through with (or can't pass) the background check. For that reason, a simpler form of the variety Seattle is describing might be an easier place to start. From past posts, I seem to remember this was an issue that basementdweller mentioned for his pack, but I could be wrong about that.

lisa is correct with the background check. I have lost many a volunteer because either the will not submit to it or fear they can't pass. in most cases I have also lost the scout because of it.

I lost my potential ACM because he failed the background check......I was just told unsuitable by the DE.....not sure why....he admittedly raised some cane as a young man. It is the only thing I can figure.