acco40,

No, what I am saying is that ...wellfor example:

I go to England on vacation. While there, I hear some people talking about faggots and how they stink up and foul the air and how they should be against the law>

WEllis that still a hateful; word that they used? Was it with hateful intent and full of malace and predjudice? Does the fact that ( even though I am over 2,000 from America) I'm even in a different culture/country/ region matter since it seems to be in America where that is a hateful word?

No! The only hate associated with that word in that example would be from my mindpoint and state of opinion.

So would it be correct or even make sense to be offended by something that ( at least in this case) has no association with anything offensive whatso ever?

Now, another example: Some folks from England come to the US on vacation or buisness. While here, they notice the anti-smoking laws in most states.

One is overheard telling the other how nice it is they do not allow fagots in restaurants.

Now, at first, you might think they are mistaken, and wonder if they are bigoted or predjudiced, But one you found out ( if you didn't already know) that the way the used the word had nothing at all to do with the hatefull meaning that OUR country changed it to mean...well again, if you find offense in it - it's your own shortcomings, not theirs.

If you found offense in their usage of the word..it is only and soley becuase you willingly chose to do so!

Yes, it is that simple.

As mentioned before..go to other countries and hold your fingers in the "victory " sign and see what people think. HOld up your middle finger and see what people think. Belch very loudly and see what they tghink. Just say hellow to a woman and see what it means. Just shake hands with somebody and see how it is taken.

But no matter how they take it...it dos not change the intent or meaning I felt when it did whatever motion or gesture that may cause offense. And if they chose to stay offended after I explained my intent...well..I could care less about their opinion after that point.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why we can't have an English exam for citizenship, too few of us know how to speak it in the first place!

Actually, this happens in other languages too. For a while I lived in a town in Italy where the word for "little boy" or "little girl" was a patent obscenity in standard Italian. Other Italians seemed used to this peculiarity, but for the folks who learned Italian someplace else it was mortifying hearing the mama's shout F-s, come home dinners ready!