Hicountry, Welcome to the boards.. Your very first post is a good one.. It encompasses what I was thinking, but I only had a half thought of "eventually the Troop will inherit the problems of the pack, if these parents and their self-centered ways are allowed to continue unchecked.."

You have taken that half-formed thought and explained it beautifully!

The Pack may fail without you Basement, but it might surprise you, and after alot of grumbling and fingerpointing, they may shake loose the real deadbeats and then the smaller core group, may get themselfs straightened out and figure out how to do for themselves.. Then when this core group crosses over it will have less self-centered, wiser parents, who can then work into good leaders in the troop..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shot off an email with Job assignments for the vaunted graduation camp out.

If I don't get any feedback I will just cancel it.

I remember an adult scouter in tears at a council event.....he was missing his son's play at school.......It left an impression.

So many sacrifice so much........

How many thank you's did I get?

two,

one from the church janitor for cleaning up and taking out the trash and one from the COR who said it was the best race ever.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Thanks for the compliment but I used to post here under a slightly differnt handle......I've been here before.

I posted as this entire scenario really digs at me, the continual degradation in America where people become increasingly selfish, totally disregard others, want everything done for them and complain constantly. If things aren't delevered to them their way on time and exactly how they want it they complain and proceed to make other people's lives miserable.

I have seen these attitudes killing the pack I mentioned, I had several of these folks in the troop until they were "weeded out", the Booster club at our local school is nearly defunct after numerous rounds of this. I see it in local elections and local county issues. I get discouraged with people being absolutley uncivil and make demands about issues they have 10% of the information on and their opinion is 100% wrong and even detrimenetal to the position they base themselves from. People like this need to be left to fend for themselves and have their complaints ignored. No wonder people burn out and quit and learn the lesson to stop volunteering and avoid groups.

These kind of people know no limit and the degree of their me first always attitudes has no end. Case in point I was on an attic fire about 5 years ago, me and a second FF were on the roof which was "comprised" (It was like a trampoline and was burning through) yet me and the nozzleman were up there trying to knock this down. We pulled before the roof gave, went inside and with air bottle alarms going off proceeded to move this guy's oak antique furniture to a smaller room and tarp it before pulling the cieling, we ere on the last hutch full of china when the cieling drywall let go, broke the other FF's helmet. He was OK we moved the hutch and tarped everything while running out of air. We went outside while otehr crews yanked the cieling and knocked the fire from below. While we are changing out air bottles I overhear the homeowner angry while talking to the chief that we worked too quick and good, should have let the place burn down, he wanted the insurance money!?! The furniture full of china and antiques were inherited from his deceased parents and grandparents but this guy wanted us to let the place burn and collect the cash. I wanted to shove the Halligan I had in a place the sun doesn't shine.

I can't beleive people's selfishness these days.

Basementdweller,

"A Scout Is Brave"

When I spun off, I wasn't being brave.

While everything I posted in the other thread is true.

The real point was that it seemed to me that the time had come for you to choose what you wanted to do.

My feeling is that the time to say Goodbye to the Pack should have happened some time back.

I of course am not you and really, other than what you have posted here know nothing about you.

Still the vibe I have got from your recent postings is that at times you seem very overwhelmed by it all.

I wish you nothing but the very best.

You have a good heart, please don't allow yourself to become so burnt out that Scouting loses a great leader.

Ea.

Basement, the parents have grown to believe that you will keep doing it all, year after year.

The lack of help after the event is a sure sign.

I'd recommend setting a firm date of resignation, and sticking to it.

Your sanity and your family's well being aren't worth the abuse.

You've been thru thick and thin...time for someone else to carry the ball down the field.