The Endangered Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

They add flavoring to a goeduck bake other than that they are tough and taste like madrona bark. Except the ones that survive in the pacific yew stands, hear-tell that there is some medicinal purposes for them. However the info on the Sasquatch is false. You see the Bigfoot is a southern and eastern slope cascade critter and happens to be the totem for my lodge Tataliya 614! Many sightings have been within 50 miles of Camp Fife.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trivia question to my students for today..you guys are free to try your hand as well..it sounds like you might fit the profile...

In the movie, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, with Kirk Douglas playing the character, Ned Land - the character Ned is locked in a storage room with the professor's assistant, Conseil (played by Peter Lorre). Ned discovers that the specimens are preserved in ethanol and begins to drink from the jars. He accidentally swallows one of the specimens and reads the label to find out what it was.

Question: What was it?

C'mon, John, what's the harm? I'm personally involved in debunking biological fallacies and this doesn't bother me one bit.

oldisnewagain1, I'm awarding partial credit for remembering that part.:) It's close. But in that particular scene, he read the label for the specimen he swallowed and spoke its scientific name, Generic and specific epithets. That will get you full credit. Extra credit if you can figure out what kind of organism it was (not a cephalopod).

Pack,

It would not have bothered me if it had been posted on April Fools' Day. As it was, it was originally posted in I&P, and I make make a face value ruling on stuff there that the OP knows it's a) serious and b) contentious.

Gee John

Quit being such a stick in the mud, what's the matter no sense of humor, lol. I hope you don't act like that around your scouts otherwise you might get called "Ol Mr. Crochety".

To all you budding chefs out there try frying the beast in hot seasoned oil and you get some great fried calamari, add some wild edible mushrooms from the forest and you get a great wilderness dinner and a great lesson for your scouts in wilderness foraging. Buona Apetite!

Yeah, I get you now. I wasn't sure about where it fits really and I don't know who moved it or why. I understand your feelings about being serious and contentious but the I&P forum is also where a sense of humor helps at times. ;)

As it is this thread is neither serious nor contentious. Unless someone actually believes this stuff...in which case they could just as well spend their time looking for bigfoot or space aliens or some such.

Pack

Not serious or contentious is a huge understatement, poor John must be going through a rough patch. By the way have you heard about the little creature from your neck of the woods? It is called the "Southern Sucking Cuttlefish", it inhabits the swampy areas of the deep south and is closely related to the NW tree octopus.

Well, though this is not serious, it is definitely contentious. I just put it in I&P because I didn't think it merited being put anywhere else.

Why is April Fools day the one day a year we can try to put a smile on people's faces?