Funny stories in Scouting

A long, long time ago...back when I was an older scout instead of an older leader (chuckle), I served on the staff of our local scout camp. We held both resident Boy Scout weeks and Cub Day Camp weeks. One of my duties during day camp week was to collect "lost" (forgotten) clothing from the waterfront change tents after all the Cubs left for the day.

One day, I found the following piled together in one of the tents:

shoes

socks

underwear

shorts

pants

swim trunks

scout shirt

t-shirt

towel

I figured some Cubby must have gone home in his birthday suit.

Way back when...

Late one night my self and an other ASM stayed up at the fire long after we should have been asleep. A lost female staffer shows up in our camp site and confesses she is lost. She tells us that she is looking for her father (a SM at camp that week) and her flash light died. We lend her a flash light and point her in the right direction. The next day we think it will be a bit of fun to give her a new flashlight of her own.

In the dining hall I request a chance to present it to her. The program guy turns the floor over to me where and I begin to tell the story to the camp including who she was seeking and his site name. At that point she turns beat red and the staff, her fathers troop and one other troop fall over laughing. Turns out the young lady had lied to us. The site she was seeking did not belong to her fathers troop but to her boy friends troop. oops.

Wingnut reminded me of a story.

Back when I was 20 years old, I needed to have an old Class 3 physical done b/c I was going on some trip that required it, I think NOAC. Anyway I use that physical for summercamp and during check in and medical review, the young EMT, who was a female staffer, without looking at me reviewed my file, then started thumbing through the rest of the troop's medicals. When I asked her what was up, she said that since I was here she was going to ask me about my son. I then asked her, do I look old enough to haev a son in scouting, at which point she looks up and turns red.

Well a few days later around supper, I decided to introduce her to my "son," who happened to be the tallest scout in the troop. Needless to say she was a little embarrassed.

WELL since every "son" needs both a father, and a mother, after supper on Friday, when she is surrounded by the staff, I tell her that "my son has one word and only one word to say to you." Then turing to my "son" I say: "Ok son of my loins go ahead and tell her what you need to say." To which he grins, stretches out his arms and says, "MOMMY." To the laughter of the entire staff.

Needless to say she learned that she must look at the Date of Birth on all medicical forms.

• 3 weeks later...

one evening i had a couple boys with me to attend city council meeting, I show up in uniform, the 2 boys that were with me were not, they are working on their citizenship merit badge, the meeting got pretty heated over some issue or other and after the meeting an older woman comes up to me and tells me what a crappy job im doing as sherrif of this county and i should have arrested several people and i should be ashamed to let something like that go on, finally after she unloaded on my for about 5 minutes, i said ma am if you dont like the job im doing then dont vote for me anymore, she said, I WONT! I had to bite my lip to keep from busting a gut. Now everytime any of the councilman, mayor, or policeman from our city sees me out they make it a point to tell me they wont vote me for sherrif anymore..