District Chair also Serving as a Charter Organization Representative

I am the District Chair and I am also the COR for my church where we have two units. I already know and have found in writing that as a COR I can also be the Committee Chair if needed to keep our units active and alive. I have an individual who tells me I cannot hold both the District Chair and Charter Organization Representative positions at the same time and I am breaking the rules. I have asked this individual to provide me these rules in writing. I was just elected by the Board of Directors to serve a 4th year as District Chair and I am still the Charter Organization Representative. I think by know if this was against the rules someone would have caught it. Does anyone know if and where this rule exist?

Hi bsasfl, welcome to da forums.

Whoever told you that is smokin' something funny, eh? :)

From the BSA's perspective, of course you can be a COR and a District Chair. As a COR you are a regular member of the District Committee and therefore completely and fully eligible for nomination and election to the Chairmanship. Yeh can also serve on the Executive Board for the council or in any of the council officer positions, including Council President. In fact, as a regular member, one might even argue that you have more right to serve in those positions than an "at large" member whose membership is contingent on annual re-election.

The only proviso is that some Chartered Organizations caution that yeh not take on District or Council duties that will interfere with your ability to do a good job as COR. But while some CO's give that caution, I'm not aware of any that prohibit their CORs from serving.

Now, I will say that sometimes less than honest DE's and SE's try to "stack" district committees or council executive boards with at-large members that they hand pick through the nominating committee process. This almost always leads to weak councils. Strong exec. control, but weak councils. So if yeh get a sense that that's what's goin' on, it's your honor-bound duty as a regular member to resist it.

So by all means, go ahead and serve! Good luck, and thanks for your continued service to the program and the kids!

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Beavah,

Thank you for the reply, I have a past Risk Manager that is always quoting what the individual calls "The Rules". I have been in scouting for a combined 19 years and have never heard most of what is told to me by this person. I have asked on several occasions to please show me in writing what you are telling me and nothing has yet to be produced. I have a fairly large district committee with active members and anything was to ever come up involving lets call it a conflict of interest we have enough people to work it out.

I have always read this forum but never posted anything because I can usually find the answer by searching for it, this one must have been something new.;-)

Thanks again,

DC

I have never seen in any BSA publication that a COR can not also serve as a District Chairman.

I tried to see or find where there might be any real conflict and so far haven't been able to find one of any real substance.

During my term as District Chair. I really tried to get the COR to attend the District Meeting.

I didn't have much luck and failed.

My great hope is that you will do a better job than I did.

Without wishing to pat myself on the back. I did have a lot of luck with bringing local Scouts and Scouting into the community and making people aware that Scouts were alive and well in our area.

I was blessed with having a wonderful Lady who worked tirelessly ensuring that the local media covered Scouting events.

The Advancement Chair.Had local community leaders sit on Eagle Scout BOR. The Membership Chair. Had all the School Superintendents on the Membership Committee and the Finance Committee was stacked with leaders from the business community.

I like to think of myself as being a "Hands On Scouter"?? Someone who likes to get down and dirty with the youth members. But when it came to being the District Chair. I seen my role as helping to develop the District Committees and reach the goals that Districts need to reach.

Unless the CO that you are the COR for has a real issue with the BSA. (Something big; not the design of the patch for the next Camporee!) I think that as long as your happy wearing both hats, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good Luck.

Ea

Welcome Florida. So when you are having the cup of coffee with this person who is spouting "the rules" to you and you are asking for them to provide said rule in written form, what do they say? Do they know that you are calling their bluff and just want to continue in ignorance or are they just that argumentative? I would say that borders on harassment or just plain stupidity? What position does this person hold within BSA?

Eamonn,

I am with you! I also see my responsibility as building the committee and as you said not to pat myself on the back I have an excellent team from the DE down to the members at large.

Eagle007,

This person was at one time our Risk Management Chair and they were actually asked to leave by our District Commissioner. He told me this is the only person he has had ever had to fire from a volunteer position.

Another Floridian -- welcome!

One think I might mention to you is the Journey to Excellence program -- check out item #10 -- "Nominating Committee" -- in order for your District to qualify in this category at the "Gold" level, neither the District Chair, nor the District Commissioner can be registered with a local unit, in the District. (yes, I emphasized that last part on purpose.)

That could well be the rule they are referring to ... just a guess.

UC and BSA,

the COR is not, repeat NOT, considered a unit leader position, but a council level position.

The chartered organization representative is the direct contact between the pack and the chartered organization. This individual is also the organization's contact with the district committee and the local council. The chartered organization representative may become a member of the district committee and is a voting member of the council. If the chartered organization has more than one unit, one representative serves them all all bold is my emphasis.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/AboutCubScouts/ThePack/chorr.aspx

Also if you look under Council and District Badges of Office you will see that Chartered organization representative, No. 00490, council Scouter, left sleeve, position 3. again bold is my emphasis.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/10B.aspx

So there is no conflict with J2E.

Why did this person not raise this issue at the time of the board elections? Did he vote in favor of this slate? Did he miss the election and is now trying to make up for that? Some other agenda?

I would call is bluff and tell him to bring it up at the next district committee meeting. I'm no expert on Robert's, but I'm sure there is a rule that would allow removal of an officer that was not properly elected.

Thanks for all the replies. This individual is not on any boards or currently holding any position in our district or council. I have since been advised that the local council is also aware of this persons reputation. Needless to say the bridges have been burned.