Is the Use of the 2nd Class Rank Image Allowed here?

I think that brings up something interesting. There is BSA clip art available from an official source, Troop Program Resources (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Clipart.pdf). The first page, at the bottom, it does say "No additional licenses or permissions are required for uses that fall within the scope and within accepted BSA editorial and content standards."

Beavah,

I took your advise and dropped a line to BSA legal. . . but I am confused about your comment that it is not my business to inquire about it.

(edited to remove foot from mouth)(This message has been edited by Troop24)

I think Beavah was merely suggesting that there might be better uses for your time and effort. BSA takes licensing issues very seriously - witness the hoops that a must be jumped through for a t-shirt company to make a unit shirt that includes a BSA logo.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is someone in Irving whose job it is to watch and search for these sorts of things.

"I think that brings up something interesting. There is BSA clip art available from an official source, Troop Program Resources (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/Clipart.pdf). The first page, at the bottom, it does say "No additional licenses or permissions are required for uses that fall within the scope and within accepted BSA editorial and content standards." "

This illustrates how a selective quotation can lead to gross misinterpretation. The whole paragraph reads as follows:

"The following images and indicia are the exclusive property of the Boy Scouts of America and are protected by the copyright laws of the United States 17 U.S.C. et. seq. The indicia and images are licensed for BSA communications and educational purposes only. This limited license is intended for, and restricted to only, BSA local councils, national and regional BSA offices and personnel, and chartered organizations of the BSA. No additional licenses or permissions are required for uses that fall within the scope and within accepted BSA editorial and content standards. Resale of the images and indicia, in whole or in part, in any form is strictly prohibited."

If one reads the whole paragraph, it should be clear that the license described is extended to Scouting entities for Scouting purposes. As the website we're talking about here is not a Scouting entity as described in this paragraph, then this paragraph could not be construed as an acceptable license to use that image on that particular website.

It is entirely possible that the people who run this website have received permission from the BSA to use that image, but I have no way of knowing that. Now if that permission has not been granted, then I think it is an awfully un-Scoutlike thing to do...(This message has been edited by sherminator505)