How would scouting be different without the Eagle?

To respond to the original question is tough; troops really can differ. My old troop hardly emphasized rank or advancement; that seemed to be left pretty much to each scout. So I view earning Eagle rank as a good bit of self-motivation. I really hate hearing of parents or scouters pushing and pushing kids to "make" Eagle.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if, at some point, the BSA realized that the General Public viewed the Eagle rank as something cool and admirable, and realized that by pushing Eagle-hood, they could retain members and membership dollars.

For the original question, I would guess that the BSA would become more of a club, and troops would end up with kids all about the same age. Troops with older kids would do more high adventure; younger kids would toy with fire.

The chief problems is that a big education element drops out: why do merit badges?

You would probably end up with the BSA handing out participation patches all the time.

Got lots of participation patches. My venturers (the non boy/girl scouts) still look at me funny when I hand them out after events.

Despite the tone of some here, rank *is* something cool and admirable. It can be blown out of proportion, but it can just as easily be undervalued.

Now I have had somewhat confrontational discussions in committee meetings with parents who expect every scout by their third year to make FC -- or every scout to advance a rank a year -- or whatever. I frankly have stated that boys making rank is not a priority of mine and it should not be of any scoutmaster. We teach skills. If the boys have the wits to get tested and get them signed off in their book, or on a blue card -- they advance if they don't, no big deal. We teach skills.

But, that is because I *value* my bird and do not want it to be sullied by bunches of boys who were pushed and prodded by every adult in the troop to make rank. (Most have moms for that sort of thing.)

Turns out, we have most boys making rank. We're up to our eyeballs in eagle courts of honor. Evidently, they like the program because most of our Eagles are old enough to have voted with their feet, but stuck with it. And, it's not any easer for them than it was for me.

So, take away the 6/7 year advancement opportunity, and what do you have to offer an 11/12 year-old that isn't already being done in other youth programs?

Got lots of participation patches. My venturers (the non boy/girl scouts) still look at me funny when I hand them out after events.

Despite the tone of some here, rank *is* something cool and admirable. It can be blown out of proportion, but it can just as easily be undervalued.

Now I have had somewhat confrontational discussions in committee meetings with parents who expect every scout by their third year to make FC -- or every scout to advance a rank a year -- or whatever. I frankly have stated that boys making rank is not a priority of mine and it should not be of any scoutmaster. We teach skills. If the boys have the wits to get tested and get them signed off in their book, or on a blue card -- they advance if they don't, no big deal. We teach skills.

But, that is because I *value* my bird and do not want it to be sullied by bunches of boys who were pushed and prodded by every adult in the troop to make rank. (Most have moms for that sort of thing.)

Turns out, we have most boys making rank. We're up to our eyeballs in eagle courts of honor. Evidently, they like the program because most of our Eagles are old enough to have voted with their feet, but stuck with it. And, it's not any easer for them than it was for me.

So, take away the 6/7 year advancement opportunity, and what do you have to offer an 11/12 year-old that isn't already being done in other youth programs?