Fraternity to Use Pepsi Grant to Mentor Scouts

Here's a nice bit of news I picked up from NPR earlier today.

Georgetown Fraternity Wins National Service Challenge

April 09, 2010 - By Rebecca Sheir, WAMU

A co-ed fraternity at Georgetown University is among the winners of a national contest geared toward community service. Phi Omega will use its winnings from the Pepsi Refresh Project to mentor scout troops.

Pepsi is doling out $1.3 million to fund dozens of service projects nationwide. Alpha Phi Omega has received $25,000 to mentor one Girl Scout troop and one Boy Scout troop in Washington, D.C.

This summer, the fraternity will send approximately two-dozen boys to Scout camp. The chapter also will use the funds for Scout field trips, college scholarships, uniforms, handbooks and other supplies.

Members of the public cast votes to pick the winners of the Pepsi Refresh Project. Alpha Phi Omega received the second-most votes in the $25,000 category.

Let's congratulate the Brothers of Mu Alpha and all of APO for keeping the Ties of Brotherhood to the BSA. Frank Reed Horton and The Chief, H Roe Bartle, would be proud.

Are any Brothers planning to visit the APO booth at the Jamboree?

I'm sure I will visit the APO tent. When I was in college, we had so many brothers in one dorm that it became known as the APhiO House! :)

BTW, I met both Brother Horton and Brother Bartle at the APO convention in Kansas City in 1962. H. Roe Bartle was one of the most imposing figures I've ever met and heard speak.

• 6 months later...

What?

First of all, I believe Georgetown is a private school, in fact a private Catholic school. And a fraternity is yet another private organization. And unless the government has recently bailed-out Pepsi, I believe it, too, is a private company.

But if Pepsi having government contracts taints the whole pool then every dime in circulation is government money. Let's see -- I did some work for a client who is a contractor for a software company which does work for Goodrich which has government contracts. Does that mean I can't donate part of my money to the BSA?

Nuts.

Heh, heh, heh..... just pointing out the fallacy of the other arguments. HOWEVER, a private school that receives government money (such as student scholarships or loans) is just as restricted as a "public" school. (Happened here in my city.) And, yes, a company receiving government contracts is subject to rules that other companies do not have.

Those are facts.