Thinking about starting a new troop

Hi all! Our group of cubs are thinking of starting our own troop. There are 2 troops in the area but the 1 my son belongs to is committee run, no matter how hard the boys & scoutmaster try to make it boy-run the committee pulls out the iron fist. The other troop is no better. I have briefly discussed it with the Elders of my church and can get them on board but I need to know what exactly do we need to do this. Has anyone out there started a troop from scratch and give me some pointers. I don't want to start just to fail. Thanks for the help!!

#1 talk to your DE as he has all the info needed to start a unit.

#2 ASK FOR, AND FOLLOW TO THE LETTER, THE STEP BY STEP PROCESS FOR STARTING A NEW UNIT BROCHURE! (caps for emphasis, not shouting)

#3 Follow the brochure's process and let no one tell you to take shortcuts.

When I was a DE, I used that brochure's process and it worked. Takes time, yes, but by doing it the right way, it provides a foundation for the unit to last. I know of coworkers who tried to shortcut the process, and the unit doesn't last long.

Good Luck

Your council should have one. The link provided gives you the same info as well

OK This may be breaking #2 above, or maybe adding to it, I'll let the folks here judge. But once you got your troop started, I'd recommend getting a copy of the 3rd. ed SM HB, both volumes. Green Bar Bill wrote an excellent plan to getting your youth up to par with scoutcraft and leadership skills. You may need to modify it to today's society, it was written int he late 1920s/early 1930s but the foundation it provides is a good one.

I will but I wanted to know the procedure first so at least I and everyone else can walk in with both eyes open. Thanks - yes we do have the SM handbook and Committee book and woods wisdom. Most of us are already trained from being in the iron fist troop. We tried very hard to change it but no go - that is why we are looking to start a new troop, where boys can become leaders like it was meant to be. I don't want to call the DE yet (I know him personally) until we decide what & when we are doing. Trying to keep the flack down as much as possible and don't want the boys to catch any flack from the adults as traitors, etc.. Yea that would happen. All we want to do is give the boys a chance to do scouting BP's way, and a safe haven to mess up and figure out how not to mess up or fix the problem when they do mess up. All info is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Just a side thought on maintaining your troop. Around here most of the troops are connected to a cub pack with the same Chartering Organization. You might want to think about keeping in close contact with the Pack your bridging from ? or to think about starting a pack to help "feed" into your troop. You dont want to be a one age group troop over the next few years. Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely follow the steps in the new unit formation process. It helps to have everyone trained and your charter/by-laws and all formed before you start inviting new kids. Also, having a charter rep who understands their role in the troop is key to your longevity and success, so be sure to get one on board early!

• 2 months later...

Having "your own" cub pack on board is a HUGE plus, and it sounds to me like you want to start a troop for all the right reasons.

However, having started a new troop myself at age 13 I can assure you new troops means you need to find a large number adult leaders from a remarkably small pool of avialable adults. (3 people on the troop comittee, SM and preferably ASM all on day one.)

It also means started a "scout-led" troop with a group of kids most of whom have little camping experience and zero experience leading camping trips, troop meetings etc.

That said, if it doesn't work out here is your plan "B."

1. Have the kids join one of the existing troops.

2. You personally join the troop comittee, DO NOT ROCK THE BOAT!!

3. After 8-12 months use your 8-12 months of quiet non-complaining service as a "right" to be granted one small favor.

4. That favor is: have your son, or one of the boys moving up with him designated patrol leader of a patrol that includes several (most) of the boys who would benefit most from (and contribute most to) a scout-led rather than a committee led scouting experience.

5. Maintaing 2-deep leadership and other BSA rules, host regular scout-led patrol meetings at your house.

In short, if your plans don't work out do an end around. Keep the kids active in one of the current troops and use your energy to help them create a great scout-led patrol . . . one which meets almost as often as the troop does.

(This message has been edited by LIBob)(This message has been edited by LIBob)

docdct writes:

All we want to do is give the boys a chance to do scouting BP's way

If so, then Eagle92's advice to purchase both volumes of the third edition of Handbook for Scoutmasters is especially valuable. They were written by the "Father of the American Patrol Method" at a period of our history very similar to 21st century Scouting: At a time when Baden-Powell's Patrol System had been stamped out by "modern" leadership theory.

The books can be purchased for about $10-20 per volume through AddAll at the following URL:

http://tinyurl.com/ydutcxo

These days leadership "experts" make up fake Baden-Powell quotes to make it seem like the "Patrol Method" means the SPL and the PLC. The "Patrol Method" presentation of Scoutmaster-specific training does not even MENTION a Patrol Leader or a working Patrol!

Start with what these handbooks call a "Real Patrol" and worry about all that Troop Method SPL-PLC theory later :-/

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Hi LiBob,

Thanks for your input but to be honest I'm not looking to join yet another troop and sit in on their committee. I have been on the Iron-fist troop's committee and know how it works and how it's supposed to be run. I have been trained several times over, read SM Handbook, committee handbooks, woods wisdom, the boy scout handbook and several other books out there to know that the way our current troop committee does things is backwards. Plus parents should not ask to have their son be picked as a PL or any other leadership position. SPL is to be picked by all the boys in the troop at an election, PL(s) are chosen by the boys in their respected patrols. To do so any other way is getting away from being boy lead and will lead to dissension amongst the other boys. Not what I am looking for.

Kudu,

Thanks yes we have both those books plus several very old versions my husband has picked up from different places. I'm not really worried about the "Patrol method" or who will lead a group of new scouts. Natural leaders all ways rise and the rest come forward after they get their feet wet and get more confidence. Plus if we start a new troop we have a couple of older scouts who wish to come with as they have had enough of politics as usual. My concern is setting up the dynamics of it so when the boys come into a new troop it's already strong with support not control. I have done quite a bit of research and will be ready to address this issue with our CO within the next month. Wish me well everyone!!