BSA has any number of publications with policies. For instance -

Safety - Guide to Safe Scouting

Cub Scouting - The Cub Scout Leader Book

Advancement - The Advancement Committee Guidebook

So - What kind of policies are you looking for?

You will need to be a bit more specific than that. Are you looking for a particular topic? On many topics that would relate to scouts and adult volunteers and that they would really need to know, your local council office would be a good place to go to first for information.

I was looking in to policies concerning shoulder loops and district committee members. If I am correct that chapter chiefs are members of the district committee.

I'm not sure about what loops a Chapter Chief wears.

I kinda think the Silver loops would be the way to go? However I'm sure that there are wiser and more informed forum members who can point you to the right answer.

District Committees are strange animals.

When I was serving as a District Chair, I invited the Lodge to have a member of the OA camping committee sit on the District Camping committee.

My idea was that having him there would help that committee do a better job with camp promotion.

I don't think that just because someone is serving as a Chapter Chief that they are automatically a member of the District Committee.

Being as the Council I serve isn't very big, our Lodge (Wagion Lodge 6) doesn't have Chapters.

To be very honest most District Committee meetings are about as exciting as watching paint dry. If you are a youth member, you really aren't missing much.

There will be lots of opportunities for you to serve in ten or twenty years time.

Eamonn.

Chief,

Congrats on the position. here's the skinny. YES you are a member of the district committee. HOWEVER unless you are wearing a shirt with the District Committee emblem ONLY, or if you are fortunate enough to find one but crazy enough to wear it the old Chapter Chief POR they came out with and discontinued in 1994-95, then yes silver loops are appropriate. HOWEVER if you are wearing your regular unit shirt with numbers, then you need to wear the green or older red loops.

Now I do know a few folks who wear reproduction Chapter Chief or Lodge Chief patches. One wears his LC patch in lieu of the Council Executive Board patch on that shirt, while the other wears his CC patch as a temp patch when wearing his District Committee shirt.

Now, I know in the By-Laws that I am a member of the Committee. Now I do have a temporary patch that goes on my right button that the Lodge gave out. Now I was wondering if I had a uniform without Troop Numbers that I could put silver shoulder loops on.

The other thing is, where do I find a committee emblem at, I do not see them on our District Committee members uniforms.

YIB!

"where do I find a committee emblem at, I do not see them on our District Committee members uniforms."

Your Scout Shop should sell "District Committee" patches. They exist. I used to wear one for several years. If your DC members aren't wearing them, what are they wearing.

BTW, there was never an official Chapter Chief patch. There was an official Lodge Chief patch, but only briefly.

I would recommend that before you do this you check with your lodge leadership. Is your Chapter Adviser ok with this? Your lodge chief? If the other chapter chiefs in your lodge don't do this, some might get upset by you wearing silver loops.

I've been down this road. When I was a youth member my lodge did not have chapters, but did have two vice-chiefs, one for each district of the council. The lodge vice chiefs did serve on the district committee for his district, like you do as a chapter chief. There was no such thing as a vice chief office patch at that time. What I did, which passed muster back then, was wear the district committee office patch, with silver loops. I did remove my unit numbers from my shirt. I had another uniform shirt that I did not change, that I wore when not acting in my capacity as lodge vice chief.

Strictly speaking, you are registered to a unit, this is your primary registration, and your loops should match. However, OA chiefs serve on a committee matching the level of their office, and it is a long standing tradition to wear the matching loops. I still have my gold loops from when I was section chief.

So long as you wear the correct uniform when with your unit, and the DE is ok with it, what I did should work for you.

Emb,

My memory may be fading with old age, but I thought for sure that a CC emblem was created during the same 6 month period as the LV patch, circa 1994-1995. Grant you I wasn't in supply yet, but I thought for sure my CC had one.

I also know that when they orders to discard the patches came out, there was some dumpster diving by folks to get those patches. i also know that the LC at the time bought or Lodge 6 of them b/c they word was they were being discontinued, and the successor LC also wore the then discontinued patch.

I'm more than willing to be proved wrong!

But...

I don't remember ever seeing where any youth member is automatically a member of the District Committee.

Sure they can be invited, but this invite would come from the District Chair.

If someone could point me to where I could find this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Eamonn

The national council provides information on how district members are selected. No person is "automatically" selected. OA members have no special distinction. The process is described in the booklets The District, Selecting District People, and the District Nominating Committee Worksheet. Of course local districts sometimes choose to ignore the national guidance and do their own thing.

The chapter adviser, by being a chapter adviser, is a member of the district camping committee. Same with the lodge adviser and the council camping committee.

The assumption is that the chapter chief should also, by virtue of that office, be a member of the district committee.

Most councils will automatically put their lodge chief on the council exec committee.

Same idea.

emb021

Having just gone over all the books I have on District Operations.

I agree that the Lodge Adviser is a member of the Council Camping Committee.

Lodge Chiefs and Chapter Chiefs can be invited to serve.

However just because someone is a Lodge or Chapter Chief does not mean that they are members of a committee.

The Council I serve does not invite the Lodge Chief to serve on the Council Camping Committee and as far as I know, I was the only District Chair from any of the Districts to invite a member of the OA to serve on a District Camping Committee.

QuekolisChief is asking for the policy on this.

Eamonn.

F Scouter is correct and OA members have no special distinction, if they are asked to serve on a council camping committee it is on an advisory basis only and not on a membership basis.

Additionally a COR wears the loops of his unit and not the silver council loops, he has a vote during council committee meetings but he is not a member he is a Representative of that units CO.