Chapter Chiefs cannot be District Committee members, as the District Committee consists of adults who are 21 or over. However, they are considered leaders in the district by virtue of their elective office and my FEELING is that the silver loops would be appropriate for Chapter Chiefs when they are performing in that capacity. But I am not confident in that position as anything more than opinion.

BadenP:

With respect, the COR is not a unit-level scouter.

Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America, Article VI, Section 3, Clause 7:

"In territory supervised by local councils, each chartered organization shall appoint a volunteer, other than the unit leader or assistant unit leader, as its chartered organization representative to represent it as a member of the district committee and as a voting member of the local council."

Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America, Article VIII, Section 1, Clause 2:

"Unit Scouters. All adult members registered with the unit, except the chartered organization representative who shall be considered a council Scouter."

The Chartered Organization Representative, BSA publication #33118D, page 8 (paraphrased):

The chartered organization representative is the chartering organization's "voice" on the Council and District committee. Most District committees meet monthly on a set date. This enables the chartered organization representative (COR), and the organization the COR represents, to take advantage of available District service.

Annual Charter Agreement, BSA No. 28-182R:

Appoint a chartered organization representative who is a member of the organization and will coordinate all unit operations within it. He or she will represent the organization to the Scouting district and serve as a voting member of the local council.

The chartered organization representative wears the silver shoulder loops of a council scouter rather than the red shoulder loops of a unit scouter.

The chartered organization representative represents the chartering organization at the council and district level, rather than the units the organization sponsors. I do not dispute the CORs responsibility of supporting the organization's units, and acting as liaison. These are certainly within the seventeen "tasks" of the COR listed on page 7 of BSA publication #33118D.

On topic, I have never encountered a youth member at a meeting of the District committee.

"OA members have no special distinction, if they are asked to serve on a council camping committee it is on an advisory basis only and not on a membership basis."

Not according to the "Guide for Officers and Advisers".

Pg 7. "Each year the Scout Executive appoints a volunteer to serve as lodge adviser... This person serves as a member of the council Boy Scout or Camping Committee and may be elected to the Executive Committee."

pg 16. "The chapter adviser becomes a member of the district committee".

Well i don't look at the thread for a while and look what happens. LOL. Yep the COR is a councuil scouter, wears silver loops, and no unit numbers, although I do see them on very rare occasions ( heck seeing a COR is rare, let alone in a uniform LOL.)

Also although the the Chapter Adviser is selected by the LA, I know that I also had to get the OK from the Dis. Chair. And when I got my replacement, I had the LA and DC approve him too.

As for the OA youth member sitting on the council and dis coms, Evwery single lodge I've been in had the LC on the council board. Just as the VOA pres is on the exec board in my council. Now I've been in some districts that had the CC on the committee, and others not.

"Also although the the Chapter Adviser is selected by the LA, I know that I also had to get the OK from the Dis. Chair. And when I got my replacement, I had the LA and DC approve him too."

Read the GOA. Neither of these two have a say in who is the Chapter Adviser. That's the Scout Exec. (tho am sure in most cases, the LA DOES have a big say. Whether or not the DC has any say may very).

The COR is registered on the unit charter NOT the council charter, take a hint, he has the ability to cast one vote in the council executive committee but he is NOT a member of that committee, period you need to reread your citation. Any way you slice it NO SILVER LOOPS, but as someone pointed out a COR in uniform let alone at a council meeting is a rare sighting.