yep - dental floss is pretty good option for this. Nylon kite string also works. Nylon is easy to whip, take off, whip take off. You have to fuse the kite string before you use it so you can cover that also. So you get a lot of practice in a short time. We use 1/2 inch sisal rope to whip. We cut the sisal into 1 foot length and each guy whips both ends, then takes it off and repeats.

In the real world I'd probably whip with duct tape, so I teach that method too. ;-)

For most rope we use dental floss

For rope 3/4 or 1 inch we use kitchen string that has been waxed by running over a candle

For the actual whipping we use sailmakers whipping. This weaves into the ends of the rope and lasts a long time

We have a spool of #4 (.8mm) whipping twine. This slick "string" is easy to work with, but you must pull it very tight in order to make it work. This is good on anything up to about 9/16".

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/8106-whipping-twine-white-4-med-0-8mm-295l-from-fse-robline.html#

Scouts make a big deal out of whipping, and we work hard to de-bunk that. We teach the 3 primary methods of whipping. I can easily cut and whip the end of a manilla rope in under 60 seconds, using a simple whipping. Some scouts like the West Country whipping, do not do that with the above mentioned twine, as it is too slick to get a good binding. For that, try a simple string of a small diameter. For our older scouts, we recomend encouarage them to use a sailmakers whipping (also called a bound whipping). It is neat and extremely secure.

Whipping is a staple skill, and we encourage our scouts to master this and continually repeat the process over and over. That is the best way to learn. Our more skilled scouts do this without much thought.

If you want it to really last and are not just training scouts then go to a boat store and buy a spool of actual rope whipping material. Its much stronger than dental floss. A West Marine, US Boat store and likely any quality sail rigging store will have this material.

The other thing I have done for natural rope which requires a natural material for whipping such as hemp twine used in macromay(sp). After whipping the ends I then dipped the ends in wax or just melted wax from a candle and let it saturate through the whip and rope end.

(This message has been edited by Mafaking)

I've always had good luck with nylon or dacron braided fishing line. I just keep the old used stuff spooled up after I take it off the reel. The other options are good too. I learned from my father using heavy flax thread waxed with beeswax. That worked pretty well too. Probably not that easy to find now, though.

There are several kinds of whipping twine that they sell at West Marine. I have found the ones that last the longest are pre-waxed. There is one that is easier to use, and holds up better. It is light brown, and is just wrapped on itself, not on a spindle thing. When done properly, even a quick whip lasts years in a marine environment. I would avoid the white West Marine brand stuff. It is really difficult to get it wrapped tight enough, and it just slides off at the first opportunity.