Scoutmaster /Asst. Scoutmaster Citizenship Requirement

The Scoutmaster Handbook states that one must be a U.S. Citizen to hold the office of SM or SA. However, I seem to recall that this is not necessarily the case. Does anyone know if this is something a Scout Executive may waive?

I just got finished teaching the the Scoutmaster Specific course and a gentleman with dual Canadian / British citizenship (living in the USA) asked if could be an SA.

Here is what the adult application says:

"Adults who are not citizens of the United States but who reside within the country may register with the Boy

Scouts of America in any capacity if they agree to abide by the Scout Oath or Promise and the Scout Law, to respect and obey

the laws of the United States of America, and to subscribe to the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle."

Talked to my district professional and yes, citizenship is not required. However, a background check is required so if not a citizen, the person would need a valid driver's license or an SSN so that a background check could be made (according to what I was told).

Thought the adult application asks for a SSN for the background check?

HOW can someone provide an SSN without being a US citizen? Wonder what BSA says about being in the US legally to hold such position within a unit? Hard to recruit those hispanic units national is pushing for if we're going to get hung up on little things like legal status and SSN's... but I digress....