Obit: David S. Davies, Professional Scouter, friend, mentor

David S. Davies VIRGINIA BEACH - David S. Davies, 66, died Sept. 14, 2009, in his home after a long and brave fight with cancer. He was born in Wetumpka, Ala., Dec. 14, 1949, to Stewart Hope and Kathleen O'Neill Davies and grew up in Tobaccoville, N.C. Joining Boy Scouts when he was 8 years old, he earned the Eagle Scout Award and the Youth God and Country Award. After graduating from Oglethorpe University in Georgia in 1965, he began his professional career with the Boy Scouts of America, from which he retired in 2007 with 40 years of service to America's youth. While working locally at the Tidewater Boy Scout office, he was selected to serve as the special needs scouting director, devoting much of his time to the development of the DisAbilities Awareness Challenge, an obstacle course that teaches young people about the many challenges faced by those with disabilities and demonstrates the devices that assist them. David was also the Disabilities Awareness Challenge director and treasurer, and served on the advisory board of the Way of the Champion Foundation, based in Chesapeake, which is a non-profit organization that helps at-risk youth. David served the community in a variety of ways. He was a member of Ocean View Lodge No. 335 and served as associate Bethel Guardian of Bethel No. 3, International Order of Job's Daughters. He also served as the president of Bayside Kiwanis Club from 1997-1998. In 2002, David received a Virginia Beach Human Rights Award. He also was awarded the adult God and Service Award from the United Methodist Church. He is survived by his loving and devoted wife, Donna; his three children and their spouses, David and Richelle Davies, Amber and Travis Estep and Tara and Clark Walters; and his five grandchildren, Zoe, Alec, Ella, Max and Reagan. Also surviving are his siblings, Kay Beck of Kansas, Susan Day of North Carolina, Lynn Roberts of Colorado, Nancy Gallagher of North Carolina, Pat Marbois of North Carolina and Doug Davies of South Carolina. A family visitation will be held Thursday, Sept. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home, Kempsville Chapel, 1485 Kempsville Road, Virginia Beach. A memorial service will be held at the funeral home Friday, Sept. 18, at 3 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to any Towne Bank branch to the David S. Davies Memorial Fund to continue his work in the development of disability awareness programs.

Dave was a retired pro in Tidewater Council, Virginia, and never let his own physical challenges get in the way of serving the Volunteers and Youth of his districts and at the council camp. We will miss him. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. I worked with David for a couple of years when I was a professional. He was certainly a great guy to work with and with his own disability, he was especially compassionate to the disabled.

I hadn't seen him in perhaps 30 years, but I'm sure he will be missed.