""Back in 2000 I was in Philmont on top of Baldy. A t-storm was rolling in and I (ASM) announced I was seeking cover and all the boys that felt it necessary were to follow me down to the tree line. About half the boys did. The SM and 2 other ASM's blew me off and laughed.""

>>>Gotta love these distorted observations by those who don't comprehend the point.

First of all the crew members that are not allowed to participate are those that have not acquired the necessary skills to do the job safely. It has nothing to do with "badly trained". On the contrary, the high standard of training is what is keeping the boys from risk.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cancelin' events because of possible snow and ice on da roads?

Southerners should really learn how to drive, eh?"

Great example of why Go/No Go dscussions would be helpful in training.

I never said I would leave because the driving might be bad. Indeed, I look at the possibility of icy roads as somewhat of a red herring in this scenario (though I doubt that was the intention). Tossed in there in an attempt to have us zero in on the transportation issue.

I had the pleasure of driving down to Paducah, Kentucky about 2 months ago. About 6 miles north of Metropolis, Illinois, I noticed that the tops of most of the trees along the highway were snapped off - all at about the same height. This same damage pattern was pretty consistent in the entire Paducah area. Littered at the base of all of these trees was the tops of the trees - ranging from 5 to 25 feet in length. There was some significant size branches and tree tops laying about.

I wondered when a big windstorm had come through for about 30 seconds until it occurred to me that the damage was too uniform for a windstorm, and that there was a major ice storm in the area in February. Yep - all these trees had snapped off in the ice storm.

Now imagine your group of Scouts in the woods with the potential for an ice storm to come roaring through. Now imagine that storm coming through and causing tree tops to shatter throughout your campsite. Even if your in an open field, what will a build up of ice do to your tents? Can they withstand the weight of ice?

Now would you cancel or pack up and leave?

My mistake, Barry, you used the word crew and I assumed you were making reference to my Venturing Crew, not a "crew" on Philmont trek. I had also made references to this thread or the other parallel one where I spoke about issues of safety for my Crew as well as my Troop, i.e. "crew", that was on a Philmont trek.

As far as the rarity of such things, I have a packful of examples where there have been safety issues ignored and only by the grace of God those making the decisions got away with it. I'm a firm believer that God does watch out for the fools and unfortunates of the world.

My apologies.

Stosh