How many things can you do on a 5 mile hike?

We just had 21 new crossovers. the Troop guides,instructors and PLC are trying to come up with a plan to incorporate many of the T-2-1 requirements into the 5 mile hike. They don't want it too bogged down but are open to ideas. Right now they have. plan menu for patrol, cook on light weight stove, map and compass/orienteering, plant and animal i.d.

Other suggestions?

During the hike or as a time filler before and after?

Knot tying could be accomplished during the hike. Teach a knot and give each hiker a length of rope to carry and practice during the hike. During breaks teach a new knot and have each scout tie the previous knot(s). By end of hike, they should be able to tie all the knots.

Part of a hike to me is enjoying the hike itself. I would caution about adding too much instruction during the hike. Certainly instructional sessions before and after the hike make sense.

I agree with resqman's general caution. I'd add that you want to be careful not to sign off on things just because they "learned" them while hiking. It is one thing to be shown how to do something, another to do it with your guide standing right there holding your hand, another still to actually know the skill. Map & compass is a good example here.

But, if you want some other thoughts, how about 2nd Class req. 6b (prep a 1st aid kit and take w/ you on a hike)? The prep could be done at a troop meeting. For that matter your guide could teach the new guys basic 1st aid for blisters at an upcoming meeting (part of Tenderfoot 1st aid) and then have them demonstrate proper care at the end of the hike.

The menu planning reqs seem to be focused on campouts, not a day hike, so I'm not sure what you have in mind there.

Plant and/or animal identifications. Poisonous plant identifications. Even if they don't work on the advancement the older scouts can be pointing things out.

Don't try to overdo it, though. Just wrangling 21 10-11 year olds will be a challenge. Attention span is inversely proportional to group size.

G'luck.

Hal

"a plan to incorporate many of the T-2-1 requirements into the 5 mile hike"

cheffy,

I think maybe someone is trying to Flash Fry when they should be thinking slow cooking.

As I look out my french doors I see Spring has just started.

Yesterday I wasn't counting but I seen at least 11 different species of birds when I went on our big long walk.

The groundhogs are back in full force.

There is evidence of deer.

The den where the red fox was is now empty.

While Ollie was "Bird Watching" a turkey-hawk flew down out of no where and took out a dove. I stood by in total awe.

I noticed that the poison ivy is coming back around the base of the big Toby tree.

The wild daffodils are about ready to bloom.

Something has dammed up the small creek that runs through the back of the property.- I'm not sure what?

The robins are out and the males seem very protective of the areas that they have marked off as being theirs.

A few snow geese flew over honking away, but still in the flying V formation.

A few crows were up in the sky giving another hawk a hard time.

I spent a few minutes wondering if the sounds of all the birds as really singing or was just them making noise? -But after the dead silence of winter I was just overjoyed to hear it return.

A little later I was worried that one of the dogs might have tangled with a skunk, the smell of skunk spray was in the air. Thankfully they hadn't.

I looked at the limbs of a tree that had been broken off a few weeks back in a nasty wind storm and was amazed to see that even though it was no longer attached to the tree it was still in bud.

On the way home Rory spotted a small rabbit and gave chase, the rabbit was a lot faster than Rory. His ego was hurt.

In the next few weeks the tress will have all their leaves, seeing the birds will be a lot harder, but watching mothers search for food and return to the nests will occupy me for a while.

I'm hoping that the Ring neck pheasants will return.

I'm unable to see what has become of the big owl.

I'm wondering if Rory will be able to catch another crayfish this year?

It looks like there will be a good crop of frogs, from what I see in the pool by the bridge.

I seem to be missing a deer,there was 3 but I noticed the other night that only the two does were out.

I'm also missing a wood-pecker. I haven't heard him pecking, but maybe he is waiting till the bugs come back?

Some of the trees still have nests left over from last year.

I wondered do birds build nests before the leaves return or not?

I looked in one empty nest and seen it was full of fur that must have been out there after I'd brushed the dogs. Kinda gives new meaning to recycling!

It wasn't that warm, the sky was almost clear with only a few high Cirrus clouds. I thought back to how wonderful the clouds were in New Mexico when we were at Philmont.

I remembered how cloud recognition was a Scout Standard requirement when I was a leader in the UK and how the Scouts struggled with the Latin names.

I'd seen something on the early show that struck me as fun, someone was singing Amazing Grace to different tunes.

The dogs looked at me as if I was nuts as I tried to sing Amazing Grace to the theme song from Gilligan's Island!

I have trained the dogs to come to Black Velvet Band, they were happier when I whistled that.

These Scouts have lots of time to reach First Class.

First Class Scout is the key that opens the door to new challenges and more excitement's but when we rush to "Git er done" We end up short changing the Scouts.

These Lads have the entire summer and a good part of next summer if you want to do this in about 18 months.

It's not a race.

KISMIF.

Ea.

I agree with most of the other folks who've posted. I have been the New Scout Patrol in our Troop for several years and we keep the 5-maile hike simple. Proper hike preparation, read the map and compass, enjoy the 5-miles. We do have them make the 1st aid kit at a previous meeting and bring it along.

The active boys were still able to attain 1st Class in a year without having the overload them at any particualr meeting or outing.

We have run an "Operation Tenderfoot" weekend seperately, where the new boys are able to complete their outdoor requirements for Tenderfoot in a single weekend.(This message has been edited by mikecummings157)

The original Second Class Journey in England was designed to test a Tenderfoot Scout's mastery of his Second Class skills by sending him (and a buddy) out on an eight (8) mile trek without the supervision, aid, or guidance of any adults or older Scouts:

"Your Patrol Leader will set your route, and a specific objective will be given. Make an oral report from notes to your Patrol Leader immediately upon your return. Your Scoutmaster must know your hiking route, and must approve your plan in advance. If additional Scouts are taking the test, each will report independently."

This was jolly good preparation for the similar unsupervised First Class Journey of 15 miles in England, or 14 miles in the United States.

Note that the current BSA wording does not rule out such a remarkably memorable Journey:

"b. Using a compass and a map together, take a 5-mile hike (or 10 miles by bike) approved by your adult leader and your parent or guardian."

Kudu

(This message has been edited by kudu)

Well, you're already making me feel slack. We have a 3 mile hike (it's steep) this weekend. Each girl has to prepare a personal hiking first aid kit. All we've planned for the hike itself is some photography since they just earned their Camera Shots badge and lunch at the top. I'll probably work in some tree and flower id. There's always singing on the trail, which is fun but rules out seeing any animals. I do like to get them to sit quietly for 2 whole minutes and just listen.