Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 618 Longview TX

Re-post

I concur with SctDad, about not needing Kwiq-Clots all of the time and they shouldn't be a common use item - but I really like having one or two around should things go really bad.

Which is why I had the Kwiq-Clots in the Adult Backpack or Troop Level kits.

Because if you have to use them they replace an awe-ful(spelling deliberate) lot of gauze. But you don't want to use them on a scratch either.

I don't think the EMT or MD use warning is required anymore, either - you can now buy them commonly for lay use at stores like Bass Pro Shops, etc.

I just finished a WFA (Wilderness First Aid) class this last weekend. One thing I learned from it is how to use a SAM splint. Granted the instructors were not encouraging us to use it (with the rationale "how often are you going to have one of these around? it is better to learn how to improvise"). But when I got home and looked up the cost of them: a basic SAM splint is $12. They are amazingly versatile, and easy to use. I'm going to buy a couple of them.

I have to agree with GKlose

SAM Splints are GREAT. I love'em. They are so versitile, and can be cut with a pair of first aid scissors. Most are x-ray translucent so they don't have to be taken off right away. Not to mention they can be flattened out to fit in any first aid kit. And they are very strong.

Here is a link to a list of videos that you can watch on the different uses of the sam splint.

http://www.sammedical.com/sam_splint.html

Usless trivia for the Day.

The name SAM for the Sam Splint is actually the name of the guy that invented it, he was a combat medic in vietnam and was playing with some wrigleys spearmint gum, folded it in half the long way, and there was born the SAM Splint. Yes it also stands for Soft, Aluminum (sp) and maleable (SP).