Funds for a new Trailer

As with any fundraising effort for the unit, you are required to complete and submit a Unit Money Earning Appplication to the council explaining in detail the activity. Since you would be giving the appearance that these commercial products or services are being "endorsed" using the images and logos of the BSA, there would be the expectation that the council will not approve it.

However, you never know till you try. If the Scout executive says you can then..you can.

A couple of other things to consider. If the "sponsor" is the Charter Organization (which I presume it not to be), then that would be a completely different ball of wax. Remember, in reality the trailer is owned by the Charter Organization, not the troop. Second, instead of overt advertising, consider a "PBS like" acknowledgement such as visibally in small print "funding for the Troop 500 trailer provided by XYZ Electronics."

Either way, run this by the District fundraising subcommittee for approval.

I am opposed to ad space for several reasons.

First problem I see is exactly what Bob said, endorsing a product or merchant.

Second is who is gonna pull it and the repercussions of a less than courteous driver. Seen it happen heading into camp. Got blown by on the highway by a jerk leader pulling his troops trailer. I found the Scout master and discussed it with him and found he didn't pull it no truck. One of the Dad's did. Just food for thought. Just think about an upset motorist calling that business to complain about you.

I really dislike the fact that the trailer is actually the charter orgs property. But thats life.

Just get off your duff and sell candy bars like the rest of us.

"Either way, run this by the District fundraising subcommittee for approval."

District fundraising committees are usually only responsible for FOS and council fundraising efforts and have no legal authority for approving the use of the BSA name and logos.

The use of the the BSA logos and likenesses require the approval of an agent of the BSA, in every council I have been in that is the council's Scout Executive. Check with your local scout office to see who you submit Unit Money Earning Applications to.

Just an observation...I don't see anything that says they intend to use "BSA logos and likenesses" on the trailer. Just advertising.

But check your local laws. There is a guy here who has one of those cube vans with three advertising panels (those louvered things that change every 30 seconds or so). The local govt is trying to say that it's an "illegal sign" because the sole purpose is to drive around and advertise.

lilizard62

Was it the intention of the troop to also put the troop's affiliation to scouting on the trailer? As an example Boy Scout Troop ###, or something of the like? Or were you thinking of only putting the advertising on it?

I interpreted advertising as.

a big sign on the side that says Bob's Trash service with a phone number or home depot or anyone who will give some predetermined amount of cash. Often one of the parents has a construction company and he donates his old trailer with his companys name on it. Seen that a few times in a neighboring district.

Trailers are not that expensive......of course it depends on what your tastes are. On ebay you can get a brand new for under 2k.

Oh what a lead in...

Uniforms too expensive? Remember that bare space on the back of the uni shirt? "Don's Pizza supports TroopXYZ"

Back of the Merit Badge Sash? "Acme Plumbing Merits your Business"

I know our Council already names campsites after corporate sponsors... "Camp BigHotel" and "Camp ParkingLotMogul"

Now, I would NEVER suggest selling advertising on the side of a Scout Troop Trailer. But then...

But at the 08jambo, many the area gateway mentioned sponsors, I remember a detroit pizza restaurant especially. A certain green tractor company comes to mind. Is this "selling" or "acknowledgment"?

Perhaps a nicely painted "Jerome's Jumping Beans (for delivery call 777-555-1234) Salutes Boy Scout Troop zxy" on a newly purchased and titled to the CO trailer would be more than appropriate.

Or perhaps "Troop Zyx suggests you patronize the following Scout friendly businesses: (insert Scout friendly businesses here)". If the paint is reflective, that would add to the safety of the trailer, wouldn't it? Does G2SS mention trailer safety?

Certainly, I would NEVER suggest bypassing the Scout Fund Raising Permission Permit Form.

But then, if someone, totally unsolicited (totally) wants to GIVE a trailer to the Troop, well, you can show your gratitude with only so many Dutch Oven Brownies.

Seriously, the divide would seem to be either actively SELLING advertising or simply acknowledging gratitude. I would avoid the former and tastefully pursue the latter.

No, no, no, a thousand times, NO.

Do the chili suppers, work concert clean-up. Do what you need to do to raise the funds, but don't advertize.

Make sure your chartered partner, if a non-profit, is willing to underwrite any substantial donations with a receipt and a proper "thank you."

My thoughts.

"OUr Troop logo will go on the sides of the trailer and the ad space is for the back doors.

I do like the idea of the phrase "Al's Pizza is a proud supporter of Troop xyz"."

As you can see scoutldr their intention is to have commercial advertising with the use of the Scouting name and emblem. I would not abticipate this being approved by the Scout Executive due to percieved commercial endorsement of a product or service.

Well, there you go, then. Make application with the Fund Raising Form. Your Troop Fund Raiser is.. (drum roll)... selling trailers!

Sell it a piece at a time. Supporters can buy a tire, a wheel, a rear door, a roof rafter, a tow hitch pin, electrical hook up, left brake light, top right clearance light, etc. Then, the ownership "bill of sale" will then be DONATED to the CO. Presto! A trailer!

""Troop zyx thanks all the good folks that bought this trailer:"" and list them all in sufficiently small type on the side of the trailer.

Much better than popcorn. Longer lasting. Little or no storage problem. Doesn't spoil. Transport is easy, (need a 2" ball).

Eh? Waddya think??

My advice would be to hire a lawyer. Yes , a lawyer. As a matter of fact get two.

That is what our troop did. We found two dedicated adults who made it their only service to the troop for close to six months to spec out and fundraise for a trailer. These to gentlemen went above and beyond in contacting coporations, fraternal organizatons ( you wouldn't believe the kind of money Masons love to give to good causes) alumni and the like.

At times they were maddening but in the end they raised more money than we needed and now the scouts have a darn nice trailer.