My troop membership has been stagnant,and slowly decreasing for the past year or so.There are no new scouts joining,and the cub pack is a joke.Once boys leave 1st webelos,they fall off the face of the earth,due to conflicting sports,and general lack of interest.My concern is at this rate,the troop is headed for a meltdown. I mean how long can the current scouts look at the same faces,and no chance to foster new recruits? They show little initiative to recruit among their peers. Any suggestions,short of threats and intimidations?

Do you have some adults that would be willing to be friendly helpers in the cub pack? Maybe also some den chiefs to go with them? Go to the pack with an offer to help them with their webelos program. Be sincere, not condescending about it (even though I imagine you're right in your assessment of their program) and maybe they'll welcome your offer for help. I know many packs who struggle because they have such high adult turn-over and nobody there really knows what the heck they're doing. Most of those packs would welcome offers of help from a troop with open arms.

We got a list of kids ("save a Scout") who fell off troop rosters during the recharters last year and mailed invitations to boys in our troop's area who were 11-14 years old, then followed up with phone calls. The PLC planned a really fun Open House agenda for the night with outdoor cooking, a model campsite, and games. We got one new boy and a really good lead into a Webelos Den in a Pack we traditionally don't recruit from.

We also got contact info for the Webelos leaders in several Packs in our area and are calling them to schedule meeting and outing visits with their boys.

Our DE just called today with a boy that called to sign-up for Scouts. He was referred to us since we had worked with the DE on the "Save a Scout" effort.

It's not a lot of kids, but when you've only got a small troop, a few new faces really breathes life into the program.

It's the troop committee and troop leadership's responsibility to provide a program that grows the Scout unit. If they are not providing a program that draws new members or adequately motivates the current members to invite others to join, and if they are not activiely marketing to potential members, then that is not the Scout's problem or their responsibility.

Tagguy's problem is not a youth member problem. It is a unit program problem and adults are responsible for the quality of the unit program. He will not find a solution by blaming the youth members.

All will be negatively impacted, true, but the reality of things is that youth will simply find some other outlet. If the adults at all levels (cubs too) don't provide a solid basis for the program then the youth will just leave for something else, or won't join to start with. And that sounds like what's happening.

To expect them to either join a weak unit or to stick with a failing unit (not that taguy's necessarily is either of those) is to expect a degree of loyalty to Scouting (not the activities, but the movement) that kids just aren't likely to show. As kids, they want to know "what will I get from this program immediately or at least in the near future" and "is it fun?" but not "why should I sacrifice my limited free time to help maintain scouting as a viable option for other youth in my community." That's big-picture adult thinking.

Solutions, please? Here is my suggestion.

It helps if your troop and/or pack has people who are involved with leading cub scout roundtables. Webelos leaders who are looking for a troop to crossover to will likely be asking at roundtable, so if you are there when they are asking, you can make a pitch for your troop. Just don't beg them to come. Talk about your vision for the troop and ask them how they would see themselves fitting into that vision.

If you aren't part of the regular roundtable staff, now might be a good time to approach the roundtable staff and offer to lead a webelos transition break-out session. You can talk about the transition process and supply a handout that includes information about your troop with your e-mail and phone numbers.

Solutions or recommendations.

Take a good look at the unit program. if the current scouts are not having enough fun that they are wanting to invite friends to join them then there is something wrong with your unit program. identify the spefic shortcomings and the people resonsible for them, Train ior re-train them and get them pointed in a new and better direction. or simply put someone better in the position.

Task a specific committee member with the job of Webols coordinator to keep in constant contact with Pack leaders. Establish a mutually beneficial relationship with as many packs a you can in your service area.

Do not threaten scouts to recruit. Reward Scouts who recruit.

If any adult member of the troop meets a youth of eligible age, or parents of a youth of eligible age and does not invite the youth to a to a Troop activity then shame on them. If they liked the program they were responsible for you would think they would recruit others to join.