looking for ideas for a book on Scouting

I come from a Scouting family. My Dad was the local Scoutmaster for years. He died in a traffic accident last summer. He was helping my sons with Eagle projects at the time. Both sons did earn Eagle this past year.

I'm now working on a book about Scouting. It will be an overview - history, nostalgia and up to current. Basically, it's a celebration of the first 100 yrs of Scouting in the USA. I know that's 2009 - but it's coming fast.

I'd love to hear from those involved with Boy Scouts from all over the country. I could use history, stories, photos and so on. Contacts would be great. If you know anyone who would be good to speak with by phone, email or even in person, that would be great.

My email is cookingpublisher@consumerhelpweb.com

I'm guessing I should also check in on the section about history here too.

Thanks for any ideas. I think this would be a great tribute to my dad and to the Eagles in the family. I would hope that it would be a book that all Scouts would enjoy and would cherish.

Thanks!

So you are going to write a book on World Scouting? That is great ! You have to write from all different prospectives. You should do a lot of interviews....of current scouts...of old timers...the philosophy of the professionals....the concept of boy run troops and why many times they are not working ...the summer camp operations verses the troop camp operations....high adventure dreams....how cub scouting has ruined the organization...how woman Scoutmaster is destroying manhood of the boy....how training could be improved... without announcement you should infiltrate some great rich units, and then some financially deprived units....is scouting ranks to difficult, and not stimulating ...Observe Council, Regional, and National operation....why there is no democracy in the BSA,,,Scoutmaster have no vote , or decision in it's local or national operations...How does international Scouting compare with USA...travel to Geneva, Switzerland and see how they operate...Have the aims of Baden Powell been accomplished...visit international camp Kandersteg...what type of Scouting will we have in our space age environment of the future ...are we going to be called " Space Scouts " ?

Include a lot of pictures, from all over the world...I better go...or I will be the author. jambo

Hi Jambo,

My focus will be BSA - U.S. An international book would be fabulous, but I don't have the resources for that kind of coverage. Not yet anyway.

A book about the concerns/problems with Scouting could be a helpful project, but this one would be about the good things about Scouting. I know there are problems, but there are a lot of good things that come from being in the program too. Our program here is small - not much cash. But the boys do a lot of stuff and have a good time. They're learned a lot as well.

To Writer: I want to wish you lots of success, maybe you will stimulate some of our youth into joining Scouting. But, you must remember Scouting started in England, and in order to catch the spirit, you have to go to the origins. Scouting is not a USA idea , but an interantional one. Maybe someone will write a book on this.? Good luck...jambo

Hey writer, do lots of research on the field, and I am sure you will find many wonderful examples of scouting in many communities. Ways that helped shape individuals and the community.

You may also find individuals who are best described as "cranks", I shall leave it to you to identify them

Hi Jambo - Yes. I will do a history section and drop back to the U.K. roots. Then, I'll shift over to the U.S. focus. I think an international book would be fabulous, but it would take a lot of time and travel to do it right. I work full-time and write freelance in my spare time. I do collect information though, and maybe some day a more comprehensive work would be possible.

Hi Old Grey Eagle,

Yes. That's what I have in mind. I am hoping folks here will know of interesting groups and people that I could contact. I'm fortunate to know a number of great folks involved with Scouting, but I can only guess how many are out there that I'll never know about unless someone mentions them. I noticed, for example, that a couple of young men had completed all the current merit badges. One of my sons has done a lot - but certainly not all. I'd love to talk to a Scout who earned every one. That is quite an accomplishment!

In my informal study, I have detected a change in philosophy, focus, purpose in BSAing since its creation.

Since Beard, Seton and the other original American founders adopted/adapted B-Ps vision, "Scouting" changed. Green Bar Bill, I think, fostered a return to the original ideas, but... . I would hope you could show that in your history. Not so much a recitation of names as a explication of the evolving ideas and how personalities were chosen (and self chosen?) to form and lead the largest youth organization in America.

You might touch on the ongoing tension between the "professionals" and the "Volunteers".

Some space and ink might be utilized to a study of the various "scandals" of note , both ancient and more recent; how they tempered BSAs attitude toward itself and colored the publics opinion of the BSA. Child abuse, poor training, camp sales, lost Scouts, forest fires, inflated memberships, ... lots of possibilities.

How many volumes?

YiS

Hi YiS,

The project you're talking about would be a great contribution to the literature on Scouting. I hope someone will tackle all the "nuts and bolts."

The book I have in mind would be a memory type book - including some general history but with a focus on individual stories that capture the "heart and soul" of Scouting.

In looking at and thinking about Scouting and what it means, the following story that I found here is the type of thing that I see as being central to the book:

http://www.scouter.com/archives/Scouts-L/199608/0396.asp

I don't know the leader who penned this piece, but I hope to get in touch. The piece may be published already. Regardless, it's a great article. It's the type of thing that I'd like to put to paper - collections of such stories as well as interesting facts.

Again I do recognize the importance of a comprehensive history with solid details. I just wouldn't be the writer for that project. It's a good project - just not in my area.