My name is Dale Roberts. I am 26 years old. I am married with two daughters and another child on the way. I am the Scoutmaster of Troop 7019 of Vallejo, CA. We are in the Mt. Diablo-Silverado Council. 7019, which we just call ourselves 19, is an LDS sponsored troop. Like most other LDS troops we are very small compared to other units. I work for the local gas and electric utility. I am looking forward to participating on this site as much as I can. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions in the future too.

Mr. Roberts, I wish I was 27 years of age, those years are gone,,,but I had a exciting Scouting life. Try to build your unit up in numbers. You at least need two patrols,to be functional. At first, try to pick a charismatic boy to be your first SPL. Later on , then they can elect one,and don't make it a popularity contest. Sit down with parents informally and outline to them your plans. Choose your committee very carefully, make sure they are on your side, or otherwise you are going to have a lot problems down the road. Do not send them to training courses, the less they know of the bureaucratic system , the better off you will be.You tell them of Scouting what they have to know. You and your assistants,should take as many courses as you can...use only the methods that will work for you, and are not outdated.On this

forum you will find brilliant people, who probably will give you their opinions, but use it discrationally. Here is wishing you the best. jambo

Mr Roberts,... (sorry I had a flashback and thought I was swirling three balls bearings in my hand, or were those walnuts?)

Anyway, I would never think of not having a 100 percent trained adult leadership core, both committee and scoutmasters. I dont see how anyone can work and support a program that they know nothing about.

Work with your Committee and Assts to be sure you all share a common vision of what you want the troop to be and as the troop develops, be ready to let the troop evolve into what the youth want, within the context of scouting and BTW, have fun!

Thanks for the replies. Jambo, you are definitely right that a troop needs at least two patrols. Right now we have one. I am working on both growing the troop and parent involvement. I was fortunate to be a member of a well ran troop as a scout. It will take time to get where I want to be, but we will get there. We have a committee. I won't comment on their performance on a public forum, but I am actively seeking another dedicated ASM. I will have myself and all other adult leaders fully trained. One thing I have relied on recently is the support of another smaller local troop. We attended camp together the last two summers and have had a great time together. I am learning alot from that SM and look forward to many more intertroop activities.

I wish , I can be of more of an assistance, Dale ! ...but now all I can be is an consultant. It seems to me, you are on the right track. To run an efficient, and well run troop is not easy. You have to be an administrator,motivator,trainer,child psychologist,financier,organizer,and etc. I finally was able to get my Troop up to par. It took a few years. Finally, I was able to mold a large and active troop. Many boys from other units started to transfer to mine,,,even without the so called " official transfer form ", which caused me a lot of problems. Other unit leaders complaint to the council , that I was stealing their boys. I am going to leave you with one thought ... ! " It is not how good the kid is as a Boy Scout, but how long you can keep up his interest in Scouting. What use is having the boy for only one year...with all the character building techniques , etc. ...when he only going to stay in Scouting for a short time " I have faith that you will succeed. jambo ( read my other sites )

Dale - Welcome to the forum. Whether your troop is big or small, you can get a lot of useful tips from most of the posts.

I would try growing your troop by holding a recruitment drive. I typically hold one in the fall. Think of some incentives for the scouts who bring a friend to a troop meeting and make up a flier announcing the month-long drive. Since recuritment in now a requirement, having a drive also helps boys advance.

Having a reliable ASM as your right-hand-man would relieve some of your workload as Scoutmaster. It looks like you are headed in the right direction with that.

Make sure everyone knows what their job is, and that you have no intention of doing other peoples work in the troop. Committee training helps, but sometimes its the Scoutmaster who has to remind everyone - in some cases by letting things go undone.

Also, if you haven't gotten your beads yet, look into Wood Badge training. It should help you serve your unit better.

Thnaks again to all those who have replied. I appreciate the advice and motivation. I do plan on woodbadge training once I get this new ASM going. I would like to be able to exprience that along with him so that we are on the same page and with the same or at least similar commitment levels.