Hi, I am new to scouting, and am serving as a Webelos Den Leader with my husband. We are going to Webelos Woods in about 2 weeks. I just heard that our den campsites will be judged, and we should have a skit to do, and a den yell. Is this true? How do we properly set up camp. I have been camping my whole life--family style--how do I do it scout style. Any info concerning Webelos Woods would be appreciated.

Your family style camping is just fine especially if these are new WEBELOS if this was a crew getting ready to cross over soon and they wanted to look sharp from a Boy scout prospective, the boys would tent together by pairs one one side of the site and the parents and families on the other side of the site. The boys side would have some rope tied camp gadgets around things as simple as a paper towel stick with twine holding it up by the hand washing station, couple of clotheslines, and a dining (shade) fly made with a tarp. A posted duty roster, a flying flag, and well stocked woodpile (if fires are allowed) are camp inspector favorites as well. Of course the site needs to be free from litter with all personal items stowed away.

scotteng hits most of the "points." A several things that I might want to add are have the tents zipped up. What they don't see ... they don't judge. If you have more than one den, have the dens setup in groupings of tents according to dens, clearly identify the Webelos patrol. Display the den flag. What would make it even nicer as scott indicated, all tents should be lined up in perfectly straight line(s) in their respective area. Don't forget to have a washing area away from the cooking area with the three buckets of washing water, soap, rinse, and disinfecting. Have a place for "brown water" disposal far from campsite,ie. for wash water and scraps, etc. Have a place for an ax yard (most for a scout troop). If you have floor covering tarp under the tents, make sure that they are not exposed. Fire bucket for each tent (or between two tents). At the very least a fire bucket at the campfire site. It is also great to have flag poles to display the American flag and the Pack flag (and State if you have the luxury). Any guy-wire for tents, pop-ups, flagpoles should be marked as to prevent tripping. Scotteng pointed it out ... the campsite needs to be spic and spanly cleaned before you leave the campsite for the Webelos Woods activities (including all trash removed ... put in dumpster, fire bucket filled, all dishes/pots/pans cleaned and put away, all washing stations emptied and cleaned, all wash rags put away). As for camp gadgets, lash a flagpole would be a great one, tripod to hold up a water cooler, tripod or drying rack for hanging/drying towels or pots/pans, etc. Typically, troops use staves from trees. Our troop uses closet dowels cut to lengths.

Webelos Woods is usually an event where Webelos den camps with a sponsoring boyscout troop. If this is the case, then they should know exactly what to do. If you are going in alone, try to get as many of these points as you can. It's always great to see a Webelos den wins the camp inspection, showing the boyscouts off!

Don't stress out ... Have fun! Your objective at Webelos Woods is to observe your sponsoring troop or other troops to give the Webelos a glimpse into the boyscout world!

1Hour

Amen to my friend, 1Hour's, last point. Don't stress about this too much. Keep it neat and safe, but don't overwork everyone trying for the ideal campsite.

For the Boy Scout leaders out there, although we tend to think about Webelos Woods as a Webelos Camporee (i.e., skill competition), our real mission isn't about scoring events, it's about introducing a bunch of Webelos to the excitement of being a Boy Scout. Keep it fun and keep it positive! We want every Webelos (and parent) in attendance to look forward to coming across the bridge to join a Boy Scout troop as soon as they are allowed.

-mike

Ditto MikeF,

Webelos Woods(WW) is supposed to be about the fun parts of Scouting and introducing the Webelos to the Scouts, especially if they are camping with a Troop they might/will join.

If the inspection process is producing a lot of stress, realize the inspection will happen but no one is going to take your child, job or house for not doing well or winning it. And if the WW sponsors are making it that big a deal where you are stressed out over it then maybe the Cubmaster needs to have a cup of coffee with the event sponsor. :)

The inspection is supposed to be a way to ensure basic cleanliness in a camp setting and to provide a means of friendly competition among Troops/Patrols - not to stress out Pack Parents.

Our Troop usually doesn't expect anything from the Pack we sponsor for the event except that they show up. On some years when we have the workforce and timeline availability we even set up their tents before they show up. We also put on our own Troop campfire program in addition to any program put on by the WW event. And have Scout prepared meals where we (as much as possible) include the Webelos in the preparation for the meal. But around here the Council doesn't do Campsite inspections for WW. The Troop does among Patrols but the WW organizers don't.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Call your DE and ask for a couple numbers to Scoutmasters. Then call the SM and ask for a scout that will help you prepare for the campout.

We typically ask a scout to volunteer to help a den get ready when they want to camp with our troop. It's a good fun learning experience for everyone and usually the scout and the Webelos leader bond really well.

Barry

Thanks for all the great info. We are so excited about WW, and can't wait to go, but we didn't want to make any obvious mistakes. We just joined about a month and half ago, but we our whole family is having so much fun. Our 2-year-old daughter calls herself Lil 195 (our pack number) and Lil Cub Scout. Thanks again for the tips.

Copschick: Welcome to the electronic cracker barrel. Pull up some ram and sit down.

Aside from the "practical" ideas listed above to make your campsite useful and attractive, ask your Scouts what they think might make THEIR campsite stand out from the crowd. At Webelos Weekends (what we call'em 'round here) and camporees, I've seen lashed up gateways, streetsigns ("Cub Corner" and "Web Way"), defined paths (logs and rocks line the path), door bells for tents (tin cans to rattle), and other stuff.

KiS MiF YiS