Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)

just shooting this out there but has anybody ever made a SOP for a Pack unit? i will transferring over to the Scouts with my son next year and i want to ensure that everything has been passed on. being retired Army i can make an SOP but i was wondering if anybody had one made for the scouts already. Any help would be appreciated.

I am guessing that you are the CM? If so, the basic SOP you should consider should be who/what/when for certain items (popcorn machine rental, christmas tree deliveries,..) as Den and Pack meetings are prety much covered as far as SOP in Basic Leader Training. This biggest thing for continuity, is to ensure your replacement is trained and has a chance to get their feet wet before throwing them headfirst into unknown waters.

I have been trying to emphasise this with my own SM's, CM's and CC's. Our job is NOT to be irreplaceable but to train our successors and learn for the boy's enjoyment. Taking on too many hats or not sharing the tasks/responabilities trains no one and leaves everyone saying "I don't know, so & so always did it him/herself". That is the WORST gift to leave your fellow leaders with.

Rick

Yep - it's called the Cubmaster's Handbook, the Committee Guidebook, the Den Leader's Handbook, etc., etc., etc.

But that's the snarky answer which I'm trying to beat someone else to the punch with.

To your question, I'd talk with the committee before putting together an SOP for the Pack - and I'd probably be careful about calling it an SOP for that matter. The terminology brings to mind a manual of procedures that must be followed by all successive Pack Committees and Leaders, with no deviation allowed, or the folks who developed the SOP are going to come back to make sure they do it right.

On the other hand, a useful (and editable) document could contain things such as where the Pack does its banking, how to get new signature cards for tha account, who the key contacts at the meeting place are (including the custodial staff, not just the Institutional Head and Chartered Org Rep), how to set up the Pinewood Derby track (not how to run the Pinewood Derby - though a section on what's worked and what hasn't worked for you, in a conversational tone - and not in a preachy "we tried it this way and it didn't work so don't bother" kind of tone might be nice), info on where the Scout Center is, how to fill out a tour permit and advancement record, how to turn on and off the lights in the meeting space, and where the chairs and brooms are stored, where the pinewood derby track is stored or what Pack you borrow/share the track with, etc., etc., etc. would probably be welcomed.

My suggestion is to keep it to practical information that a brand new committee could pick up, read through, and get started - without them feeling as if some previous Pack Leaders are preaching to them how to run the Pack.

You could even use it to start a historical record of events, happenings, outing, places the Pack has been, etc. that each successive committee adds to every year.

Calico

The training and official literature aside, there is a mountain of details that could be documented. CalicoPenn gave a lot of good examples. SOP does sound a bit to ironclad. You might put some of it into a FAQ format. Other things that require more detailed info. could simply be called Guidelines

Why reinvent the wheel. If youfollow the procedures already documented for the Cub Program by the resources of the BSA then you would have very little that would be needed to be added at the individual unit level.

As Cubmaster your role is primarily planning and leading the Pack program. Any other administrative procedures to be determined are the responsibility of the Committee Chairperson's. AS far as SOP's to pass along, remember that the person you follows ion your role is not required to do things the way you did them. Their obligation is to follow and deliver the BSA program. But there is alot of room for individual creativeness, it would be wrong to harness them to the 'Way we do things here".

Have fun with the scouting program and don't feel that you need to model its administration in a military function. If that is how you operate best thendo it for yourself, but do not expect those who replace you to have to do it that way as well.

The civilian equivalents of the SOP are "bylaws". The most you should need are for financial management and any rules your chartered organization may impose. Be wary of rule creep: just about every rule or guideline is already in a BSA publication.

And remember: the big difference between the Army and Scouting is that Scouting has adult leadership. :-)

Ed Palmer

While what Bob White says is true, there are legitimate things that go on within a Unit that could be documented as a help for future volunteers. You should be careful to document them in such a way that lets the future leaders know that things could changed based on necessity or creativity. Just because we've always done it this way doesn't mean it couldn't be done better. Here are a few things that I was thinking about (starting with Calico's list):

Banking information

Pinewood Derby set-up/tear-down and storeage location

Where your local Scout shops are

Local Council office and who does what at the office

Information regarding your meeting facility; who to contact for different things, location of tables and chairs

Unit storeage location if one exists & who has keys

Where do we order the arrows for the AOL awards?

Who in the community volunteered in the past to make the AOL awards?

Any fundraiser information if you have any outside of popcorn.

Charter Organization & Representative information

Web-site information; fees, server, passwords

Depending on your Unit, there could be more, but as for the program, you should stress training and the standard documentation as BW points out.

Enjoy...

ASM59