Webelos-to-Scout Transition

Okay, Rick. My apologies. I was only trying to convey the point that I think there are some Webelos den leaders that don't really get the process. They are more focused on "getting the badge" than the purpose behind "getting the badge."

okay, b-dweller. I was off the computer this weekend on a joint Webelos-troop overnight, and it went very well (lots of fun involved, and a few raindrops along the way). One of the coolest parts, to me, was seeing one 15-ish older scouts step into an almost "big brother" type of role with the younger ones.

I would say that when visiting troops other than the one sponsored by the same CO as your pack, remember that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Also, you might be tempted to assume that bigger troops are better, but there are some advantages to being in a smaller troop. Some boys might get "lost in a crowd" in a larger troop.

I've certainly seen that myself, from troops that were more or less Webelos III to a dying troop to a seemingly model troop in another town. In fact, in this latter case, I met a scout from that troop (in my role as an MB counselor) who told me that his troop wants them to get as much as they can out of the scouting experience and that they don't like their scouts to reach Eagle until they are 17-1/2.

17 1/2 for Eagle? Such adult-led concepts must keep a lot of boys from gaining as many palms as the program suggests. Some how the concept of "getting as much out of the BSA experience and Eagles just before 18 doesn't seem to support each other.

Stosh

I have to temper my comments with the idea that this was just one scout I talked to. Maybe he has the wrong impression, or maybe something else is going on. But, it was enough to make me go "hmmmm...possible red flag here." When I visited, everything else about the troop seemed like it was a model troop.

I'll be meeting this kid again, since I'm his MB counselor, so I may ask him a couple of other questions. Perhaps "so, do they want you to come to a percentage of troop activities to be considered active?" and things like that. I also know the UC -- I can always talk to him about the troop.