Hello, this is Terry F. here. I have recently been asked to be an assistant scout leader at my church for new 11-year-old scouts. I have my first training tomorrow night, and it is going to be quite an adventure, to say the least. Not being much of an outdoors person, I never really got into scouting--I barely made Tenderfoot--and though I finally began to get interested at the age of 15, we moved to a place where there was no organized scouting. My son Logan will be receiving his Arrow of Light in a couple of weeks right before his 11th b-day, thanks to a wonderfully dedicated leader and a troop that has made him feel welcome for the first time (he hated cub scouts for the first couple of years due to some bad experiences with the other boys and refused to go). Then, the day after he turns 11, he will be going on his first father-son campout. The thing is, we both have difficulty in social situations--we both have Asperger's (an autism-related conditon) an social anxiety. He also tends to be a pretty hyper and easily distracted and moody. (He has crying spells with little provocation.) I think the main reason I was asked to be an assistant scout leader was specifically so that I could help Logan make the transition. I really want scouting to be a positive experience for Logan, and the campout in particular. (One of the things that turned me off of scouting was the teasing and abuse which I received on my first campout.) Does anybody have any ideas on how to help Logan have a good experience and get off to a positive running start? I feel that scouting could be just what he needs right now, and he could go really far with it if he can get excited about it. Once he sets his mind on something, he just doesn't let it go, and I'd like to make it work in his favor. Thx.

Hello Terry. Welcome. I'm sure you and your son will have an excellent experience in Scouting. There are always a few bozos we have to deal with in life, but you'll find that most Scouters are more than willing to go the extra mile for Scouts with disabilities.

We have a young fellow with Aspergers in our troop. He has now completed his Eagle project, has served as ASPL, has trekked Philmont, and has completed the high ropes elements of COPE. He's still a bit awkward socially, but all of us are different in one way or another. Scouting has provided him with some terrific adventures in a safe setting. Also, I know that having him be part of us has been good for the other fellows as well. Good luck!

'Does anybody have any ideas on how to help Logan have a good experience and get off to a positive running start?'

I would say that having a caring and devoted father like yourself, that is willing to step up to help and understands the great role scouting can play in his child's development, is the best start your boy could ask for. A nice healthy conversation with the scoutmaster (and the other troop members) at the outset, about the challenges you and your son face, should satify curiosities and hopefully, set the stage for being treated with respect and concern during those difficult moments that will come.

Welcome back to scouting. I do hope your son enjoys his scouting experience.

Hello! This is a great start for you to gather information! I would also encourage you to attend the roundtables at your council and pick up on any adult leadership training that you can. As you probably realize there is a wealth of knowledge out there in people who have "Been there done that, let me help you out here...."

Good luck and most of all, have fun!

Step in as little as you can when it comes to your son. Otherwise, let him have fun. (I understand he has special needs, but Scouting is (should be) a safe plce for him to "fit in" on his own.)