JLT Survey -- your opinion wanted

Are you getting what you want from junior leader training? Is it everything it could be? What would you like to improve?

I invite you to participate in a survey of junior leadership training. All participants who provide an email address will get a copy of the results. This survey has 33 questions and takes about 12 minutes to complete. All answers are confidential.

Feel free to share this invitation with other Scouters you know.

To take part, go to--

http://www.phelpstek.com/jltsurvey.html

YIS,

Brian Phelps

Sorry about the closed survey. I didn't realize my month subscription was up.

A total of 28 people responded. You might like to see the results:

http://tinyurl.com/56dcqo

I think the most interesting finding is--

75% think their boys are not adequately trained for their position

41% send 1-3 boys to junior leader training each year; another 50% send 3+ boys

52% say JLT did NOT meet their needs and expectations

What's missing from this picture? I am interested to know what you think.

Brian Phelps

as in "Michael Phelps"

Yah btphelps,

I didn't get to take da survey, eh?

But I'm curious what yeh asked, because JLT is a discontinued program support material, eh? These days, it's TLT in the troop and NYLT at council. Did you ask about those?

Beavah

I can understand why so many people feel they aren't trained. The literature does well at explaining what has to be done but doesn't do much for how it is to be done. Theory is great, practical application is a totally different subject.

Stosh

My apologies to all who did not get to take part in the survey. If there is enough interest, I will consider paying for an additional month and reopen the survey. Let me know!

To see the questions asked and results, see the link in my previous post.

Brian

I was surprised to see that a couple of people listed Silveraxe instead of checking NYLT. Unless the name is used by other counsels, Silveraxe has used the NYLT syllabus for a few years now. I understand this was the last summer they will call it that.

It's not a magic bullet, but it does seem to help. I'm hoping that in addition to have a scouts as participants that I can get at least one to commit to being on staff each year. From what I can tell, spending a week as a Troop Guide at NYLT is a great learning experience.

I have a friend. He's a licensed pyschologist (read PhD), and he specializes in academic and children's pysch. That means he's also a certificated teacher.

He's studied both the new TLT and the older unit JLT. In the units he serves, he continues to use BSA unit JLT (the old curriculum).

Key points:

- Hands on.

- Leadership development as a result of skills use.

- More information for the youth.

- Youth are not "in and out", they are in an immersion environment for a weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Change gears:

My last night at PTC a NAYLE class came in from their week out at Rocky Mountain. I was staying in South Tent City. The NAYLE children (I use that word malice aforethought) decided to stay up late and be rowdy, after the beginning of quiet hours. Saturday morning, they were up and in full rowdy at the Buster Brown Building at 530AM, a full half hour before the end of quiet hours. I'd wanted to sleep in to 7AM. Didn't happen.

I guess a Scout is Courteous isn't part of NAYLE. My neighbors was also disgusted with their conduct; they were a couple who had their own plans for the night and day.

If that's typical of the leader-learners being produced by the TLT/NYLT/NAYLE curriculum, I'm not sure I want youth I serve or support being part of it.