So what do parents do when their son is at camp?

Yes my very British sense of humor went into overdrive as well!!

After Christmas Lunch and the Queen's Christmas message, on Christmas Day most Brits end up in front of the telly.

Nearly all the ads are for holidays (Vacations).

Many families will plan the "Family Holiday" at the same time as the Scouts are away at camp.

Most Scout Camps are Troop ran events and last two weeks. The family holiday is normally a week.

In the eleven years I was a SM in the UK,never once did a parent visit us at camp.

Most parents seemed happy to pack their son off to camp and do their own thing until he returned.

Maybe the fact that school summer holiday (Summer Break) is only six or seven weeks had something to do with this?

I'll admit that when OJ went to camp Her Who Must Be Obeyed and myself did make the pilgrimage up to camp. Not so much to see him, but more because it was expected.

I have faith in him, his leaders and the camp, so I never really worried about him.

I did miss him for not being home to mow the grass.

Do parents really worry about their son when he is at camp?

Eamonn

This year, I worked and took care of the younger boys. Next year, I plan on attending as one of the adult leaders. This is my son's 4th year at camp. I am not worried about him and I trust the adults that he is with. I have never drove to the camp (except to deliver boys) and this year they didn't even need an extra driver.

I really miss him, but I know he is having a good time.

We are going to take him to a movie Saturday when he returns. He is wanting to see Dark Knight.

We do have 2 or 3 sets of parents that will drive to see the boys at camp. It is about a 3 hour drive one way. My son has also asked me not to come because it would make him more homesick.

Since I am always at camp I have to look forward to the Grandpa and Grandma weekends. Ahhh a date night with the wife. Japanese steak house, yes the hibachi table, warm sake and a non disney/pixar movie nice. Sleeping in oh the joy.

Both my kids are early risers, 7:30 am is sleeping in. So sleeping in and taking a nap, half an hour of uninterupted snoozing in front of the TV.

A week if I only had a week..........

Eamonn, our summer camps are only for one week. Two might be nice but most leaders probably could not be off work that long. Some of ours have trouble getting a week. Our adult participation is high and we have a small troop. Most kids have one parent as a leader. No, never really had trouble with them doing things for the kids as they look at it as a vacation but are around if something comes up. The boys also mostly ignor the old folks. Kids like it as one is there for parents night.

I try to got to parents night mostly as one parent is unable to do the drive especially at night. That parent has no real otther way to get a chance to watch son shine. :p  I am getting ready to head up there tomorrow. It is a long drive but I do it to help this other parent. Hubby is part of leadership up there and Son is working the camp this year so he will not be particpating in parent night. If is was not that I am the only way this parent could go up I might not go this year, between gas prices and lenght of drive. I do love to see the expresion on the face of that parent, actually enjoying son's achivements. I live for the warm fuzzies.

"Do parents really worry about their son when he is at camp?"

I never did because I was there. Not that I worried about my son, I went as a member of the leadership corps and because it is fun. If the SM had said, only two adults go, I'd have probably stayed home in favor of one of the helicopter parents.

Do parents worry? Yep. How else can you explain the parents who call every day to see how Johnny is doing? Or the parents that drive 200 miles to see their son for an hour on "family night."

I saw parents who couldn't let go of their children for an hour. They had to sit with them at every meal, had to spend time with them every evening, usually with the child winding up sitting at the adult campfire.

It our society. Parents drive the kids to the park which is a half mile away because Bobby could get lost. It continues on into adulthood now. Look at what the parents of college students do compared to what our parents did. I know parents of college grads who are involved in their child's job hunt process.

I really think that it all comes back to the fact that since most parents are there for their children growing up since they delegate that duty to "professionals" they can't let go.

I don't see very many experienced parents worrying once their child has made it through one summer camp, but the parents of some of our first year scouts do worry quite a bit. Some have never entrusted a non-relative with the care of their child for more than a day or so. Some come from very conservative religious backgrounds and worry about their son being exposed to people who do not live that way and so could be a "bad influence." A few worry that their very rambunctious kid will take too much advantage of the relative freedom of camp to get into real trouble, and a few worry that their very shy kid just won't be able to handle being surrounded by (scary?) older boys all week.

For my son's troop, we try to keep all of this in mind, especially because we camp a couple hundred miles away in the "nearby" years, and several more hundred miles away in the opposite "far away" years. Coming home or riding to the rescue if things aren't working out becomes a near-impossible proposition in those far away years, or at least not without considerable logistical hassle and cost. We have found that it helps new parents feel more comfortable if a couple of other new parents go to camp with the troop. Unfortunately that's not always possible.

As for me? I grew up at camps from the time I was 2 or 3 years old so no, I don't worry too much. I know what the issues are likely to be and I've done all I feel I can to help my son develop enough common sense and coping skills to deal with most situations. Camp is his chance to stretch his wings a bit. He's coming back this weekend. I hope he had a good time!

Between Scout camp and a Christian Camp in the Upper Peninsula, our four kids will be spending a total of 10 weeks away. Our oldest is on staff in the UP for 5 weeks so that skews the numbers. For the most part, we forget they exist because I know in every case they are being well taken care of.

I did go to scout camp for four days and am a bus driver to the Bible camp. In both cases, my kids are treated just like the rest of them with no favoritism.

Years back, I had the opportunity to go to camp as a visiting ASM with a troop that I knew pretty well. One morning after breakfast, I walked into the campsite. Boys were all off at activities. On my way in, I passed a woman with a laundry bag. Asked the SM who she was. "Oh, she's soandso's mother. She comes everyday to bring clean laundry and make sure he has everything he needs." This was about a 1 1/2 hour drive for her and she was there every day. Only time I ever saw that kind of parental overinvolvement.

Parents drive the kids to the park which is a half mile away because Bobby could get lost.

Okay I understand the concerns about the over protective parent. But before we condemn them all, let me point out a few things:

1) When I grew up (and I presume this is true for many here on this board), I had the full run of the neighborhood and then some. I easily strayed with my friends around woods, fields, and creeks within a mile, two, or three of my home. As long as I made it back for dinner and/or before dark, my parents were happy.

2) During that time (60s/early 70s), no doubt child molesters were around. However, per the headlines and crime statistics today, the pervert population is growing in this country.

3) The BSA leadership has been stained by the aforementioned population spurt in pedophiles. And we all know (or should know) that pedophiles are opportunists. They seek roles such as teacher, babysitter, and Scout leader to create those opportunities.

4) I have seen more than one thread on this forum complaining about hazing in a troop and/or at summer camp.

5) I have also seen several threads citing stories where Scout leaders did not take proper measures to ensure a Scout's safety.

With the above said, I fault no parent who worries over his child even when that child has been to camp for several years in a row. In fact, in some cases, I applaud their vigil - for not falling into a false sense of security. We need to be aware of the potential dangers in our society and stand in the gap for our children.

Now, I realize this can be carried too far and there are examples of such cited in this thread. Still, I rather see a kid with the hyper worrier as a parent, then a kid whose parent shows no interest or concern.

So, if you can volunteer and be near your kid - I see no harm so long as you give him some space. And for me, I don't believe that means "don't talk" to him. It just means dont make him the focus of your attention and everyone elses by babying him.

Kahuna,

Thread Hijack time! Since you mentioned laundry, what do you guys think of having the troop bring enough clothes for three days and setting up a laundry station in the campsite consisting of two five gallon pails and a plunger. Fill pail 1/3rd with water and soap, drop clothes in and plunge for a few minutes, transfer to clean water bucket, plunge some more then dry on clothesline.

Thoughts?

Worry? i seldom got the chance as I often went to camp in my ASM role. This summer it is more about missing him. He is our only child and we are used to having him around. This summer he got out of school on May 24 and reported for staff week for Cub resident camp two days later. He was home for about 19 to 20 hours on the weekend. He left there and went to Philmont two days later. After Philmont, he was home for about five days before going to staff NYLT. He finally comes home for good tomorrow afternoon. We are proud of how he has spent his summer, but we are ready for him to be home. I never worried, but I've missed him like crazy. Out only contact has been thru late night text messages if/when he could get a signal.

Oh, and washing at camp? Yes, our troop uses the bucket method mid-week.

It's Florida its the rainy season. We are not so much concerned with clean as with dry. All our campers are told to pack 7 sets of clothes in zip lock bags for the six days at camp and to bring a clothesline for drying stuff weather permitting. It may just get rinsed again. Some even know to hang stuff in their tent if it really should stay dry Uniform shirts come to mind. It was not too long ago when most people had two sets of clothes and they took a bath monthly if needed or not so the boys will survive a week of camp. Thank God for aquatics first year campers probably would not shower were it not required to go in the pool. Most of ours take an aquatics MB or Patch every year not so much to stay clean but because the pool is cooling in 95+ degree weather.

We sent our kids off to "sleep away camp" at age 8 for a week. The camp is only 20 minute drive away but to an 8 year old, it might as well have been the moon.

We have several families we hung around with. All four or five families sent their kids to the same camp the same week. We had "parents camp". We went to dinner, drinking, comedy clubs, stayed out late, and generally acted like childless care free adults. With no worries of baby sitters, we tried to make up for all the lost opportunites during the rest of the year.

Now as an ASM, I attend camp to watch over other peoples kids. As mentioned else where, the kids get along fine. The parents seem to be nervous nellies. We have someone send an email to the parents of the troop 2 or 3 times a week highlighting how much fun everything is and how no one is injured.

Some of the first year scouts tend to get a little homesick on Tuesday evening. We have an adult sit and talk with them to get their mind off missing Mom and Dad. Then we give them a chemical light stick to hang in their tent as a night light. The troop discourages anyone from visiting at all ever. If they weren't homesick before, the will get homesick if mom and dad show up.

This summer we had a Mom come to camp for the week and take BSA Lifeguard. She was busy at the pool all day, every day. Her first year son got to see her at morning and evening meal and when he could sneak time in the evenings. Thursday afternoon she dislocated her shoulder during lifeguarding and went to the hospital. He was in the first year program so we did not tell him until she returned from the hospital in an arm sling. Dad showed up a few hours later. The boy got homesick and wanted to go home. Dad said his minivan was full and there was no room. The boy had a meltdown after they left. We had one of the adults engage him in conversation about nothing at all. Then we got him involved in useless activities. The boy stayed and completed the week.

Just back from the first week of Summer Camp for our new troop! I'm glad that's where I spent the week! As SM, I was very proud of our boys.

Wednesday evening was family night and in addtition to our 12 Scouts and 3 leaders, we had 33 family members visiting for dinner. Of course, that would be the one night of bad weather. Severe thunderstorms rolling through camp, one after another. Flash flood warnings. Camp staff had a well thought out process and evacuated Scouts from tent sites to cabins. I found each boy and family and told each Scout (with his family in the background listening) exactly what the plan was. Each boy knew directions to the cabin and was told to make sure his family got there. Two families managed to get lost on the way to the cabin. Why? Because the parents chose to go a way different from what their Scout told them.

Once all were safely settled in the cabin, we finally managed to get the worried parents on thei way home. Lightning then struck the transformer outside the cabin and we lost electricity. Scared boys? Not a one. We hung glo-sticks and the boys were prepared with flashlights.

What really touched me was that in the middle of this frightening situation, three first year campers got out their Scout Handbooks and planned what Merit Badges they would take for the next three summers! When I saw that, this first year Scoutmaster knew we surely had some great Scouts!

Next day we returned to our site and found all tents standing. A couple had been flooded out by the torrential waters. I guess that could not have been helped. But we dried out and were right back in tents that night.

Last week, 12 boys took a big step toward becoming men. I felt privileged to be a part of it and would not have been anywhere else!

I know what some do when their son is at camp - show up late to pick them up! :(

For the past three years, I've had to wait for a minimum of 1.5 hours with a Scout or Scouts waiting for their parents to show up to take them home.