Simply not doing the job you were approved to do.....

Interesting statement.

Let's use a baseline for this. Regardless of who or how you were chosen for the position you have in Scouting, let's go with everyone was chosen & approved by the COR.

If we as leaders "take ownership" of the unit we are in, what does that mean? Are are we truly not doing the job we were approved to do?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

To me, taking ownership of anything means you care about it. It's like the difference between owning a car and rening one. If you own a car, you take good care of it: you maintain it well and don't abuse it. A rental car is something you don't care as much about or even maintain.

So it goes with any scouting position. You have to care about what you do - make sure the program happens the way it should - get the right training so you know what your job is and how to do it right. And, you don't abuse or overstep your authority.

Well, the term I would use is 'stewardship'.

In my Fraternity, we teach a set of characteristics that go along with servant leadership, one of them being 'stewardship'. The big point I make with our members is that while the chapters are 'owned' by the student members, they really should think of themselves as stewards. Those who came before them have passed along the chapter (and its care etc) to them, and they are responsible for maintaing and preserving that chapter and passing it along to their successors.

Whereas if we speak of 'owning it', then we can do whatever we want to with it, including destroying it.

So there should be a higher level of responsibility.