Yah, I've seen it, Wilderness.

Well done movie.

Dumb kid.

Did yeh know there was a bridge over that river about a half mile away? Nuthin' quite like starving to death less than one day's walk from a highway.

We do this Scoutin' stuff so that lads can find fulfillment and the wonder of the wilderness. While learnin' more, seeing more, and exercisin' better judgment.

Beavah

Finally saw the movie on disk. Read the book a few years ago. Both are worth the time in my opinion.

People focus on the way he died and how stupid he was, but the real story was how he rejected our material world and struck out as Alex Supertramp. But I doubt there would have been a movie had he died at the hands of a vagrant or hit by a semi on a remote highway.

Actually, I read the original article about the kid that ran in "Outside" magazine. (even saved the article). I never bothered getting the book or seeing the movie. I read a recent article about the whole thing that ran recently in NatGeo's Adventure magazine.

Getting away from it all is fine, but putting yourself in danger is just stupid.

I am reminded of the guy who recently (about 5 years ago) got himself in a bad situation and had to cut off is arm to get free out in the wilderness. He wrote a book about himself, and some have tried to tote him as some kind of inspiration, etc. etc. However, I read other comments about him from people who know him, that he has a history of basically doing stupid things that put himself in dangerous situations. I don't find that impressive or inspiring.

I'm particularly intrigued by the main character's wanderlust. The ability to turn away from the trappings of an upper middle class upbringing and education. Not too many Americans are willing to do that. However, I didn't like his complete lack of contact with his family, I thought he owed his sister at least some message of his travels. He clearly made some mistakes, one cost him his life.

I think many of us would love to ditch our middle class, upper class or any class trappings we have and just wander off on our own and let everyoneelse worry about producing goods and services. I mean, what if everyone took the same attitude, who would pay to have interstates and a functioning (more orless) goverment? If we all became self centered free agents doing what we wanted and going where we wanted, is that not the heart and soul of Anarchy? Sounds romantic, but in 5 years, what is the result?

Its interesting to idolize those who live outside society, but its more important to honor those who go to work everyday to make the country run

My mother once confided to my soon-to-be wife that at times in the past I would disappear for whole summers with no contact, not even telling them where I was, only to send a postcard about the time I was coming back anyway. My wife was horrified/mortified, or some such. I just kept seeing something new in the distance. Now that my children are mostly fledged, I'm seeing those things again.

I second OGE's point. It was one thing for Chris to disavow civilization, but who exactly provided him a gun, boots, clothes, etc.?

If Chris had truly disavowed civilization and all its trappings, meaning he didn't use any manufactured clothes, boots, backpacks, ropes, knives, guns, the bus, etc., I wonder just how long he would've survived? Probably not long.

His entire journey was made possible by the very clock-punchers that he disdained.

I'm not sure we saw the same movie or read the same book. Chris (aka Alex Supertramp) worked throughout his adventure. At a McDonalds in Arizona, as a combine operator in North Dakota, and for the hippies selling books out of their van in California. He knew about his needs for material things necessary to continue his trek. Like the gun, the canoe, the 10lbs bag of rice, all his day to day expenses. He never begged or joined the ranks of the typical vagrants, junkies and mentally ill. He just lived at a subsistence level.

BTW, his boots were donated to him by the guy who drove him to his final trail head.

The movie is worth a look, but I liked the book better. I also recommend Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air, which is even more tragic.

Surprised that no one is talking about Chris' relationship with his father. I saw that as playing a key role in this story. I also thought it was interesting that the McCandless family was so open in advising on both the book and the movie.

Certainly makes you think about the importance of being a good father.

Actually, the family wasn't too keen on having the movie produced, probably because of the portrayal of the dysfunctional parents. Sean Penn and Krakauer finally secured permission. That's why it took so long to from the publishing of the book to the movie.

Have to say that Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven" was the most disturbing book I've read. Especially after the current news of whats going on in Texas.

GB: I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie.

Chris wanted to get away from civilization, but it was civilization that made it possible for him to get away. How far would he have gotten had he not bought that bag of rice, but had to fend for his own food?

The clothes on his back were made by the very civilization he was trying to escape. How long would he have survived without that bus in the middle of nowhere? His escape would not have been possible without civilization.

You don't see any irony in that?